JRuby on a huge project

Dafi-Duck

I am working on a new project built on websphere portal.
I need to be able to have about 2 million concurrent users.
If I use JRuby, will it work?
Can JRuby work well on websphere portal?
Can JRuby work with porltets?

Please help...

7 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dafi-Duck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a new project built on websphere portal.
> I need to be able to have about 2 million concurrent users.
> If I use JRuby, will it work?
> Can JRuby work well on websphere portal?
> Can JRuby work with porltets?
>
> Please help...

The best advice I can give you is to hire a professional performance
engineering team -- this isn't something you're going to be able to
learn on a mailing list staffed by volunteers. I'll let Charlie answer
the jRuby-specific questions, but I'll tell you up front as a working
performance engineer that 2 million concurrent users is a *massive*
undertaking.

I can't even begin to list the *hundreds* of ways you can screw up
performance on something like that, let alone the other challenges that
await in the areas of usability, security, privacy, etc. Let me know
when you've spent your first couple million dollars and have nothing to
show for it. ;(

Seriously, though -- unless you're the emperor of the world, you really
ought to start with something a little less challenging. Get 20 users up
and running on a server solid as a rock, then scale that by 100,000. ;(

Tomas Pospisek

Charles Oliver Nutter

Dafi-Duck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a new project built on websphere portal.
> I need to be able to have about 2 million concurrent users.
> If I use JRuby, will it work?

I thought I replied on google groups somewhere, but I can't find it now.
At any rate...

Yes, JRuby will "work". Whether it (or Rails in any form) will scale to
2 million concurrent users is a huge question mark. You're talking about
whole server farms to handle that, and JRuby isn't likely to be your
biggest problem. Perhaps you mean 2 million registered users and some
much smaller percentage of concurrent users?

> Can JRuby work well on websphere portal?

It should deploy just fine on any webapp server. There are some folks
using WebSphere.

> Can JRuby work with porltets?

I don't know portlets well enough to know for sure, but with it handling
requests like any typical Java webapp, it should be fine, yes?

- Charlie

Gregory Brown

On 8/6/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:
> Dafi-Duck wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on a new project built on websphere portal.
> > I need to be able to have about 2 million concurrent users.
> > If I use JRuby, will it work?
>
> I thought I replied on google groups somewhere, but I can't find it now.
> At any rate...
>
> Yes, JRuby will "work". Whether it (or Rails in any form) will scale to
> 2 million concurrent users is a huge question mark. You're talking about
> whole server farms to handle that, and JRuby isn't likely to be your
> biggest problem. Perhaps you mean 2 million registered users and some
> much smaller percentage of concurrent users?

Out of curiosity, are there any sites in the world that handle 2
million *concurrent* users? That seems absolutely wild to me, and it
seems like any service that would have such a high load (maybe a cable
company's software or something) would be decentralized.

Pratik

I'd say the 2M claim is pure simple BS. Anyone who's gonna make such a
site, would know the deal. This is question is more like " Does jruby
scale ?" - in a totally twisted way ( and kinda lame ).

--
Cheers!
- Pratik

Jay Levitt

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:37:45 +0900, Gregory Brown wrote:

> Out of curiosity, are there any sites in the world that handle 2
> million *concurrent* users? That seems absolutely wild to me, and it
> seems like any service that would have such a high load (maybe a cable
> company's software or something) would be decentralized.

AOL used to handle 1.5M simultaneous, not counting AIM users... I imagine
it's dropped a bit in the past few years, though.

Jay Levitt

Dafi-Duck

Gregory Brown :
> On 8/6/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, are there any sites in the world that handle 2
> million *concurrent* users? That seems absolutely wild to me, and it
> seems like any service that would have such a high load (maybe a cable
> company's software or something) would be decentralized.

Well, yes there are. ebay & mySpace.com.
The problem is that I need to look into the future. Can JRuby work
with portlets and will it still be relevant in a year (or will
groovy). Anyway, if ruby can't work with portlets, than there is
nothing to discuss...