Ruby Metaprogramming

Ari Brown

8/3/2007 10:18:00 PM

Are there any suggested resources on learning the art of Ruby
metaprogramming?

yea, it's a short message... But a good one nonetheless
~ Ari
Google has been visited.

13 Answers

James Gray

On Aug 3, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Ari Brown wrote:

> Are there any suggested resources on learning the art of Ruby
> metaprogramming?

I think this old quiz is a great first step:

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...

James Edward Gray II

James Britt

Ari Brown wrote:
> Are there any suggested resources on learning the art of Ruby
> metaprogramming?

Ruby for Rails, by David Black.

--
James Britt

"Take eloquence and wring its neck."
- Paul Verlaine

Ari Brown

On Aug 3, 2007, at 7:03 PM, James Britt wrote:

> Ari Brown wrote:
>> Are there any suggested resources on learning the art of Ruby
>> metaprogramming?
>
> Ruby for Rails, by David Black.

I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
(too young), so take that into account...

Thanks,
~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.

Brett Simmers

Ari Brown wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2007, at 7:03 PM, James Britt wrote:
>
>> Ari Brown wrote:
>>> Are there any suggested resources on learning the art of Ruby
>>> metaprogramming?
>>
>> Ruby for Rails, by David Black.
>>

> I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
> Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
> (too young), so take that into account...
>

> Thanks,
> ~ Ari
> English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
> bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.
I don't know if this is enough of a difference, but it's only $30 at
Amazon, with free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Rails-Techniques-Developers/dp/1932394699/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8816908-0652149?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186184282&...

-Brett

Giles Bowkett

> I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
> Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
> (too young), so take that into account...

I can't really answer the question about whether R4R is worth $50, it
depends what $50 is worth to you. I have a copy of it here on my
shelf, I thought it was worth it. :-)

In terms of cheap alternatives, use the Ruby Quiz, and Google, and blogs.

Ola Bini has a good overview on metaprogramming:

http://ola-bini.blogspot.com/2006/09/ruby-metaprogramming-techn...

Glenn Vanderburg has a good set of presentation slides:

http://www.vanderburg.org/Speaking/Stuff/o...

I found this stuff just by googling "ruby metaprogramming." There's
plenty of good stuff out there.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 08:58:29AM +0900, Giles Bowkett wrote:
> > I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
> > Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
> > (too young), so take that into account...
>
> Ola Bini has a good overview on metaprogramming:
>
> http://ola-bini.blogspot.com/2006/09/ruby-metaprogramming-techn...
>
> Glenn Vanderburg has a good set of presentation slides:
>
> http://www.vanderburg.org/Speaking/Stuff/o...

Another resource that I haven't noticed mentioned yet is _why's Dwemthy's
Array stuff:
http://whytheluckystiff.net/articles/seeingMetaclassesCl...
and
http://poignantguide.ne...

Also Jamis wrote about it indirectly in his post on DSLs:
http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/4/20/writing-domain-specific...

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Robert Dober

On 8/3/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Ari Brown wrote:
>
> > Are there any suggested resources on learning the art of Ruby
> > metaprogramming?
>
> I think this old quiz is a great first step:
>
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/q...
metakoans right? Yes and the work of Ara in general, look at Prototype e.g.
and then there is Eigenclass of Mauricio and Why's site (google Why
the Lucky Stiff) and sorry if I forgot some ressources.

HTH
Robert

--
[...] as simple as possible, but no simpler.
-- Attributed to Albert Einstein

James Britt

Brett Simmers wrote:

>> I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
>> Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
>> (too young), so take that into account...
>>

>> Thanks,
>> ~ Ari
>> English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
>> bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.
> I don't know if this is enough of a difference, but it's only $30 at
> Amazon, with free shipping:
> http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Rails-Techniques-Developers/dp/1932394699/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8816908-0652149?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186184282&...

And I think a PDF versions is also available from the Manning site.

--
James Britt

www.risingtidesoftware.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Michael W. Ryder

James Britt wrote:
> Brett Simmers wrote:
>>>
>>> I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
>>> Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
>>> (too young), so take that into account...
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> ~ Ari
>>> English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
>>> bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.
>> I don't know if this is enough of a difference, but it's only $30 at
>> Amazon, with free shipping:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Rails-Techniques-Developers/dp/1932394699/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8816908-0652149?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186184282&...
>>

> And I think a PDF versions is also available from the Manning site.

It is, for $22.50, about half the cost of the printed version.

Ari Brown

On Aug 3, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Giles Bowkett wrote:

>> I can buy Ruby for Rails at my local bookstore, but it costs a bunch.
>> Is it really so good for me to spend $50? I don't exactly have a job
>> (too young), so take that into account...
>
> I can't really answer the question about whether R4R is worth $50, it
> depends what $50 is worth to you. I have a copy of it here on my
> shelf, I thought it was worth it. :-)
>
> In terms of cheap alternatives, use the Ruby Quiz, and Google, and
> blogs.
>
> Ola Bini has a good overview on metaprogramming:
>
> http://ola-bini.blogspot.com/2006/09/ruby-metapr...
> techniques.html
>
> Glenn Vanderburg has a good set of presentation slides:
>
> http://www.vanderburg.org/Speaking/Stuff/o...
>
> I found this stuff just by googling "ruby metaprogramming." There's
> plenty of good stuff out there.

Thanks! I'm going to start a little page of MetaProgramming links
(either generic languages or ruby-specific),

so if anyone has any link or book they'd like to share, I'd be glad
to put it up.

Thanks,
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit