ruby on the zaurus

Sy Ali

8/3/2007 6:57:00 PM

I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
SL-C1000. I can finally get rubygems up and running and with that
many other gems.. but I cannot get ncurses working.

This is because ncurses is expecting the ruby development libraries,
which I cannot find anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get enough of a
ruby-devel installed to get ncurses working?

15 Answers

greg.kujawa

On Aug 3, 2:56 pm, "Sy Ali" <sy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
> SL-C1000. I can finally get rubygems up and running and with that
> many other gems.. but I cannot get ncurses working.
>
> This is because ncurses is expecting the ruby development libraries,
> which I cannot find anywhere.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get enough of a
> ruby-devel installed to get ncurses working?

Good question. Several years ago I did some Ruby programming on a
SL-5500. I can't recall how complete of an install it was. Most likely
bare-bones. And trying to cross compile Ruby for the Zaurus turned
into a train wreck due to my own ignorance. I'll check my files and
see what all I was able to do back then...

greg.kujawa

On Aug 3, 3:13 pm, gregarican <greg.kuj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2:56 pm, "Sy Ali" <sy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
> > SL-C1000. I can finally get rubygems up and running and with that
> > many other gems.. but I cannot get ncurses working.
>
> > This is because ncurses is expecting the ruby development libraries,
> > which I cannot find anywhere.
>
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get enough of a
> > ruby-devel installed to get ncurses working?
>
> Good question. Several years ago I did some Ruby programming on a
> SL-5500. I can't recall how complete of an install it was. Most likely
> bare-bones. And trying to cross compile Ruby for the Zaurus turned
> into a train wreck due to my own ignorance. I'll check my files and
> see what all I was able to do back then...

I have Ruby 1.8.3 on my SL-5500 and it appears as if ruby-devel is on
there. I see libruby.so and other so files. If that's the case then
perhaps scope out http://shimi.info/modules/bwiki/index.php?cmd=read&page=Zau...
which is a site that links to an IPK for this version. If it doesn't
appear complete then e-mail me and I can send you the IPK from my
Zaurus.

>From what I remember I had some fun developing on the Z. Had Python,
Ruby, and Squeak all running on it at one time or the other :-)

Phlip

gregarican wrote:

> >From what I remember I had some fun developing on the Z. Had Python,
> Ruby, and Squeak all running on it at one time or the other :-)

I heard that someone (possibly one of you) got my MiniRubyWiki working
on their Zaurus.

Exactly what I designed it for - very small footprint and easy but
deep interface.

Now if I could only manage to snag a f---ing Zaurus for myself..!

--
Phlip
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780...

greg.kujawa

On Aug 3, 3:46 pm, Phlip <phlip2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gregarican wrote:
> > >From what I remember I had some fun developing on the Z. Had Python,
> > Ruby, and Squeak all running on it at one time or the other :-)
>
> I heard that someone (possibly one of you) got my MiniRubyWiki working
> on their Zaurus.
>
> Exactly what I designed it for - very small footprint and easy but
> deep interface.
>
> Now if I could only manage to snag a f---ing Zaurus for myself..!
>
> --
> Phlip
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780...
> ^ assert_xpath
> http://tinyurl.... <-- assert_latest Model

If you're lucky you can get one on eBay. They are becoming scarcer
nowadays. Lately my Linux-based toy of choice is a Nokia 770 Internet
Tablet...

Sy Ali

On 8/3/07, gregarican <greg.kujawa@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're lucky you can get one on eBay. They are becoming scarcer
> nowadays. Lately my Linux-based toy of choice is a Nokia 770 Internet
> Tablet...

There's a new version of that which supposedly has a better battery
life. I like the SL-Cx00 versions because of the integrated keyboard.
Although I still prefer my 200lx keyboard. =/

Thanks for your tip, I checked out that site but those links were
broken. I was unable to sign up to his wiki to get his contact info
and email him about it. (even in my translator-broken Japanese =)

Thanks for sending me the links. It installs fine. Unfortunately it
seems that I mistook my ncurses-ruby building's error message as
needing ruby-devel when in fact it was asking for ncurses-devel!
Argh. I hunted around but I had no luck. I'm giving up for now.

*One day* I'll be able to do muby programming on the Zaurus. =)

For those who are interested, i've whipped up some Ruby + Zaurus notes here:
http://jrandomhacker.info/Ruby_on_...

Axel Etzold

Dear Sy,

you could try pdaxrom on the Zaurus. It aims to provide a
complete Linux distribution on the Zaurus. I installed
gcc and compiled any Linux software I wanted, including
Ruby, from source on it, without problems.

http://www.pd...

There is a very helpful page with special instructions

http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/pda...

If you have questions, there is a very helpful special
forum

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?sh...

dedicated especially to Zaurus questions.

Best regards,

Axel

Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/g...

Sy Ali

On 8/4/07, Axel Etzold <AEtzold@gmx.de> wrote:
> you could try pdaxrom on the Zaurus. It aims to provide a
> complete Linux distribution on the Zaurus. I installed
> gcc and compiled any Linux software I wanted, including
> Ruby, from source on it, without problems.

pdaXrom is unfinished and is still alpha, and VERY alpha for
supporting the SL-C1000. I'm using weeXpc which is based off of it,
has been updated and is commercially supported. I can still use
pdaXrom packages though.

I've been investigating doing cross-compiling to target the Zaurus, or
compiling on the Zaurus. This is probably the best thing for me to
try, because even the major Zaurus-supporting groups seem to be
several years behind with their software.

Axel Etzold

Dear Sy,

> pdaXrom is unfinished and is still alpha, and VERY alpha for
> supporting the SL-C1000. I'm using weeXpc which is based off of it,
> has been updated and is commercially supported. I can still use
> pdaXrom packages though.

I don't know what your experience has been, but other than all
software - as all human undertakings - is unfinished, I must say, I found the community for
Pdaxrom very helpful and responsive and I can't say that
pdaxrom is not sufficient to my needs or in any way defective.
Rather, it was the first OS version that allowed me to use
my Zaurus the way I wanted it : use more than pre-packaged ipk
software, and do more than have just an expensive calendar + word +
internet + some other pre-installed software I didn't use that much.

However, I must say that I mainly skipped the previously installed
OS for pdaxrom in order to be able to compile myself.
For SL-c1000 and pdaxrom support, see:

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22619&st=0&p=149905&#e...

or ask "meanie" a question yourself. I don't think you'll need
to rely on commercial support...

> I've been investigating doing cross-compiling to target the Zaurus, or
> compiling on the Zaurus.

Direct compilation is what I was suggesting you to do in my last mail. You'll get the compiler gcc in the install image of pdaxrom, and then, you can install any Linux software from source using the usual configure-make-make install process.

Best regards,

Axel
Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/g...

Tom Link

Sy Ali wrote:
> I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
> SL-C1000.

Here is a more current version with some extra packages:
http://www.focv...

Sy Ali

On 8/6/07, Tom Link <sanobast-rubyforum@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Sy Ali wrote:
> > I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
> > SL-C1000.
>
> Here is a more current version with some extra packages:
> http://www.focv...

Thank you.

I did manage to find a 1.8.5 already but that listing of Zaurus
software is really great, thanks.