Re: Groklaw says "Watch out, Ruby!"

Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)

7/30/2007 8:31:00 PM

> On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:05 PM, rmagick@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > PJ raises a warning cry about IronRuby: "Uh Oh. Another Smooth Move
> > from Microsoft: Watch out, Ruby. Watch out OSI." [http://
> > www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070730120109643]
>
> I'm not sure I understand what this has to do with Ruby. The
> implication seems to be that because Microsoft's IronRuby is
> released under a license that isn't approved by OSI, that the
> Ruby community at large had better "watch out".
>
> With all due to respect to John Lam and the other IronRuby
> developers, is anyone taking IronRuby all that seriously?

As a way of getting rails into IIS shops, if nothing else.

- donald

2 Answers

Xeno Campanoli

Ball, Donald A Jr (Library) wrote:
>> On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:05 PM, rmagick@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> PJ raises a warning cry about IronRuby: "Uh Oh. Another Smooth Move
>>> from Microsoft: Watch out, Ruby. Watch out OSI." [http://
>>> www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070730120109643]
>> I'm not sure I understand what this has to do with Ruby. The
>> implication seems to be that because Microsoft's IronRuby is
>> released under a license that isn't approved by OSI, that the
>> Ruby community at large had better "watch out".
>>
>> With all due to respect to John Lam and the other IronRuby
>> developers, is anyone taking IronRuby all that seriously?

You have to understand, the primary objective of all projects at
Microsoft is to get the world to take it seriously enough for someone to
make money. Engineering objectives are always at best tertiary.

--
The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
but on good design of the functional unit,

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Ball, Donald A Jr (Library) wrote:

>> With all due to respect to John Lam and the other IronRuby
>> developers, is anyone taking IronRuby all that seriously?
>
> As a way of getting rails into IIS shops, if nothing else.
I take IronRuby a lot more seriously than I take Groklaw. :)