Re: Rdoc allowing arbitrary HTML

Phlip

7/29/2007 4:42:00 PM

Robert Dober wrote:

> I just really needed this for footnotes and some fun in my rdoc.
> It is a very primitive patch allowing to write arbitrary HTML code in
> rdoc like this
> %html <a href="#fn1">(1)</a>
> %html <a name="fn1" />
>
> I thought I will share this patch which seems to work.

Thanks! I was just wondering how to mess with RDoc's engine...

> The patch is from mercurial's diff, please apply with -p1 and say Y to
> the strange question about reverse diff.

I'm going to add it directly to my project, as a monkey-patch, not to my raw
RDoc.

And here's my RDoc wish-list:

* the ability to alias a link to another part of the project. Example:

assert_xpath[AssertXPath#assert_xpath]
-> <a href='..'>assert_xpath</a>

that would shorten the cross-link from another module

* the ability to transclude a snip of source from one module into the
doc for another. For example, assert_xpath's doc should not say:

See AssertXPathTest#test_assert_xpath

The contents of that test case should simply appear in the doc itself.

* alternative, pretty, persistent URIs for items. Not:

http://assertxpath.rubyforge.org/classes/AssertXPath.ht...

but:

http://assertxpath.rubyforge.org/classes/AssertXPath.html#as...

(Note I can do this with your patch, manually, by putting in an anchor)

* Each page should have a linker to the root index.html

* Ability to stick a method on the page where it belongs, instead
of the page for the class where it happens to be!

* link to complete source (I might be missing this one!)

* don't trip over this colon:

send(:"format_#{item.kind}", item, ypath)

Finally, this might be pilot error, but certain class names I simply cannot
get out of the class list...

--
Phlip
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780...

Ryan Davis

On Jul 29, 2007, at 09:41 , Phlip wrote:

> And here's my RDoc wish-list:

don't put that here, file feature requests on the ruby project and
categorize them properly.