Re: Why Ruby?

Ari Brown

7/25/2007 10:02:00 PM

On Jul 25, 2007, at 5:44 PM, al_batuul wrote:

> Could any body explain what distinguishes Ruby from other languages?

Well, many reasons!
First off, Ruby is object oriented, while at the same time allowing
for simple scripts. This means you can use the right tool for the
job. Second, well, second is better represented as a list:
_________________________________
• Everything is an object. You can call 10.abs to get the absolute
value of the instance method '10' of Integer, while java calls
Math.abs(10).
• General purpose: You can use it for anything, ranging from physics,
biology, viruses (http://vx.netlux.org/lib/...), to
databasing and web development.
• Extensive libraries - just check out RAA, rubyforge, and rubygems
and you'll see.
• Microsoft (hisss) is coming out with a compiler, IronRuby (yaay!)
• Pretty new in America, and already it's got stable spot in the
market.
• Incredibly active community (mailing lists, IRC, etc)

And I feel that Ruby has just the right combination of words and
symbols. In ruby you can do:
if string =~ /awesome/

while in java you have to use:
if (string.equals("awesome"))

ruby is NOT ugly!

HTH
-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit

2 Answers

R. Mark Volkmann

Kyle Schmitt

How about...

Ruby is all of those cool languages that you've never had the time or
patience to learn, but in an easy to digest, logical, fun way.

You know, the languages that are as powerfull as C++ and Java, that
have all the neat features that the .Net folks act like are their
brand new inventions? The stuff that your CS professors say, when you
master this, then you'll be ready.
Think: scheme, lisp, lau, smalltalk, oCamal, ObjectiveC, unlambda.

Ok I'm kidding about the unlambda part, and I'm kind of biased.