Re: Ruby Editor

seebs

7/23/2007 2:49:00 PM

In message <1185165925.070884.287140@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, "bgulian@gmail.com" writes:
>What would those business models be? And are they so complex that the
>developer must spend a great deal of time devising and testing them
>rather than developing software? I am tremendously grateful for OSS
>but I have yet to figure it out. It seems that most of it is based on
>some sort of patronage which is no business model at all.

Sure it is! It's a traditional and well-understood one.

For the most part, one sells services and consulting; this has been shown
to work. The other thing is a lot of patronage -- people fund development
if it helps sell their product, for instance.

That said, I don't object to non-open-source stuff, I just don't plan to
spend my time getting used to an editor that I can't run on every computer
I own. So I use vi.

-s