Ruby Editor

alex_land

7/20/2007 10:47:00 PM

Greetings:

I am new to Ruby (from C++) so these are quite basic questions i'm
afraid.

My questions are also more about Editor mechanics rather than Ruby per
se-if anyone can suggest a better forum, my apologies, just let me
know and i'll re-post.

I have spent the few weeks with Ruby using irb from the Terminal and
Text Edit, while i got a better sense from the Ruby Community
regarding the editors of choice. So yesterday i bought a license to
TextMate, which by the way, might just be the most beautiful (and t/4
useful) App i have ever seen, let alone owned and used.

My question relates to "commands" (i believe this term has two
meanings in TM-i'm using it to refer to one of the three automation
means). "Scope"?

1. Can I specify different lexical scopes for different
"languages" (that might not be the TM lingo-i mean "Ruby," "HTML,"
"Text," etc.)?

2. If i leave this field empty, is my default, "unlimited scope?"

3. When i go to the Bundle Editor, i get a drop down of like 20 or so
languages-3-5 of these i'll use regularly, another 3-4 ocasionally,
and the rest, unlikely. I see i can "filter" which i've done before in
other editors, so i know from painful experience that when i've had to
re-add one or more of these, and i do an update, all default bundle
items write over my customizations. T/4, i would like to put my 3-5
"everyday set" in a different folder to prevent this. Is there a
better solution w/ TM?

Thanks,

-alex

93 Answers

John Joyce

On Jul 20, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Logan Capaldo wrote:

> On 7/20/07, alex_land <doug.ybarbo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings:
>>

>> I am new to Ruby (from C++) so these are quite basic questions i'm
>> afraid.
>>
>> My questions are also more about Editor mechanics rather than Ruby
>> per
>> se-if anyone can suggest a better forum, my apologies, just let me
>> know and i'll re-post.
>>
>> I have spent the few weeks with Ruby using irb from the Terminal and
>> Text Edit, while i got a better sense from the Ruby Community
>> regarding the editors of choice. So yesterday i bought a license to
>> TextMate, which by the way, might just be the most beautiful (and t/4
>> useful) App i have ever seen, let alone owned and used.
>>
>> My question relates to "commands" (i believe this term has two
>> meanings in TM-i'm using it to refer to one of the three automation
>> means). "Scope"?
>>
>> 1. Can I specify different lexical scopes for different
>> "languages" (that might not be the TM lingo-i mean "Ruby," "HTML,"
>> "Text," etc.)?
>>
>> 2. If i leave this field empty, is my default, "unlimited scope?"
>>
>> 3. When i go to the Bundle Editor, i get a drop down of like 20 or so
>> languages-3-5 of these i'll use regularly, another 3-4 ocasionally,
>> and the rest, unlikely. I see i can "filter" which i've done
>> before in
>> other editors, so i know from painful experience that when i've
>> had to
>> re-add one or more of these, and i do an update, all default bundle
>> items write over my customizations. T/4, i would like to put my 3-5
>> "everyday set" in a different folder to prevent this. Is there a
>> better solution w/ TM?
>

> I don't use TextMate myself, however James Edward Gray II who is a
> prolific
> and helpful contributor to this list has written a book (which I
> haven't
> read) all about TextMate. It might be worth checking out.
>
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/textmate/...
>
> Thanks,
>>
>> -alex

Mr. Gray not only wrote "the" book on TextMate (available also as a
pdf ebook at the Pragmatic Programmers' site at a discount versus the
print book) but he also wrote a lot of bundles for TextMate, I believe.
Get the book. Read a little bit of it at a time. Just learn something
new every day or two or ten. As you learn your way around TextMate
you will find your productivity increasing rapidly, particularly with
Ruby, Rails and HTML.
For some languages there may be better solutions available.
PHP, especially big projects, for example is probably best done with
Zend's IDE.
TextMate also works well with Transmit, Panic software's nice FTP app.
TextMate's big weakness is with non-western languages. Japanese for
example. It can display the characters (if they're in the font you
are using) but things go crazy when you use the Kotoeri input system.
This is why in Japan many Rubyists are using Jedit or something.

John Joyce

Bertram Scharpf

Am Samstag, 21. Jul 2007, 07:50:00 +0900 schrieb alex_land:
> [...] regarding the editors of choice.

I suppose myself to be the most critical Vim user abroad.
I sure took long to accept Vim as a software to be at least installed.
I deeply recommend to use and getting used to Vim.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

John Joyce wrote:

> [...]
> book) but he also wrote a lot of bundles for TextMate, I believe.
> Get the book. Read a little bit of it at a time. Just learn something
> new every day or two or ten. As you learn your way around TextMate you
> will find your productivity increasing rapidly, particularly with Ruby,
> Rails and HTML.
> For some languages there may be better solutions available.
> PHP, especially big projects, for example is probably best done with
> Zend's IDE.
> TextMate also works well with Transmit, Panic software's nice FTP app.
> TextMate's big weakness is with non-western languages. Japanese for
> example. It can display the characters (if they're in the font you are
> using) but things go crazy when you use the Kotoeri input system. This
> is why in Japan many Rubyists are using Jedit or something.

TextMate has a much bigger weakness ... it only runs on a Mac. :(

John Joyce

On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:44 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> John Joyce wrote:

>>> I don't use TextMate myself, however James Edward Gray II who is a
>>> prolific
>>> and helpful contributor to this list has written a book (which I
>>> haven't
>>> read) all about TextMate. It might be worth checking out.
>>>
>>> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/textmate/...
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>> Mr. Gray not only wrote "the" book on TextMate (available also as
>> a pdf
>> ebook at the Pragmatic Programmers' site at a discount versus the
>> print
>> book) but he also wrote a lot of bundles for TextMate, I believe.
>> Get the book. Read a little bit of it at a time. Just learn something
>> new every day or two or ten. As you learn your way around TextMate
>> you
>> will find your productivity increasing rapidly, particularly with
>> Ruby,
>> Rails and HTML.
>> For some languages there may be better solutions available.
>> PHP, especially big projects, for example is probably best done with
>> Zend's IDE.
>> TextMate also works well with Transmit, Panic software's nice FTP
>> app.
>> TextMate's big weakness is with non-western languages. Japanese for
>> example. It can display the characters (if they're in the font you
>> are
>> using) but things go crazy when you use the Kotoeri input system.
>> This
>> is why in Japan many Rubyists are using Jedit or something.
>
> TextMate has a much bigger weakness ... it only runs on a Mac. :(

That's hardly a weakness. The developer doesn't want to be bothered
with developing for other systems. If you've used Xcode and Inteface
Builder (or NeXTStep before) can you blame him?

But there is a TextMate Bundle compatible Windows app in the works
from another developer who is getting much support from the TextMate
maker!
Much like the long wait for the OS X Ruby one-click-installer (tried
it today, works like a charm),
the Windows crowd will soon have it's own equivalent... (minus the OS)

Cliff Rowley

> But there is a TextMate Bundle compatible Windows app in the works
> from another developer who is getting much support from the TextMate
> maker!
> Much like the long wait for the OS X Ruby one-click-installer (tried
> it today, works like a charm),
> the Windows crowd will soon have it's own equivalent... (minus the OS)
That would be E (http://www.e-text...). I like it, personally,
but it's far from polished, and there are a few caveats still being
ironed out. For example, to remain compatible with as many TextMate
bundles as it can, it employs the use of Cygwin to supply *nix commands
and such, which can cause a few hiccups here and there if you don't
generally use Cygwin anyway (which under Windows I can't do without).

Chad Perrin

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 01:27:20PM +0900, John Joyce wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:44 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> >
> >TextMate has a much bigger weakness ... it only runs on a Mac. :(
> >
> That's hardly a weakness. The developer doesn't want to be bothered
> with developing for other systems. If you've used Xcode and Inteface
> Builder (or NeXTStep before) can you blame him?

It's a big enough weakness that I won't use it for that very reason. The
way I see it, any requirement to use an OS that I don't much like is a
weakness of the application in question.

> But there is a TextMate Bundle compatible Windows app in the works
> from another developer who is getting much support from the TextMate
> maker!
> Much like the long wait for the OS X Ruby one-click-installer (tried
> it today, works like a charm),
> the Windows crowd will soon have it's own equivalent... (minus the OS)

Whee . . . even worse than having to use a Mac.

This is just one man's opinion, of course.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Larry Wall: "A script is what you give the actors. A program is what you

Dan Zwell

Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, 21. Jul 2007, 07:50:00 +0900 schrieb alex_land:
>> [...] regarding the editors of choice.
>
> I suppose myself to be the most critical Vim user abroad.
> I sure took long to accept Vim as a software to be at least installed.
> I deeply recommend to use and getting used to Vim.
>
> Bertram

I deeply respect Vim. I am convinced that there is no more elegant way
to do simple or complex manipulation of text/code. However, learning
Dvorak put a damper on my ability to use Vim. Instead, I am learning
Emacs. If Vim is the most elegant editor, Emacs is the most
customizable. That is a strength and a weakness--I probably won't feel
completely satisfied with the editor until I have put another 30 hours
into writing customizations and scripts for the program.

These two editors have a steep learning curve, if you want to use them
effectively. (Don't bother trying, otherwise.) I would think that Vim is
a little better for beginners, because it will force you to learn
without being overly difficult. It is too easy to use Emacs without
learning about its advanced features, and that would be a waste.

Welcome to the cult,
Dan

Alexandru E. Ungur

>>> sender: "Dan Zwell" date: "Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 04:04:51PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> I deeply respect Vim. I am convinced that there is no more elegant way
> to do simple or complex manipulation of text/code. However, learning
> Dvorak put a damper on my ability to use Vim. Instead, I am learning
> Emacs. If Vim is the most elegant editor, Emacs is the most
> customizable. That is a strength and a weakness--I probably won't feel
> completely satisfied with the editor until I have put another 30 hours
> into writing customizations and scripts for the program.
Just for the sake of completness (and for those that don't know vim):
currently there are 1947 vim plugins listed at vim.sf.net and about
1300 tips for customization. You can also extend vim in one of
vimscript, python, *ruby*, tcl and/or mzscheme... so I really don't
think Emacs is more customizable than Vim. Those being said, I love
Emacs just as much as Vim, they both rock!

Cheers,
Alex

Robert Dober

On 7/21/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 01:27:20PM +0900, John Joyce wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:44 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> > >
> > >TextMate has a much bigger weakness ... it only runs on a Mac. :(
> > >
> > That's hardly a weakness. The developer doesn't want to be bothered
> > with developing for other systems. If you've used Xcode and Inteface
> > Builder (or NeXTStep before) can you blame him?
>
> It's a big enough weakness that I won't use it for that very reason. The
> way I see it, any requirement to use an OS that I don't much like is a
> weakness of the application in question.
>

> > But there is a TextMate Bundle compatible Windows app in the works
> > from another developer who is getting much support from the TextMate
> > maker!
> > Much like the long wait for the OS X Ruby one-click-installer (tried
> > it today, works like a charm),
> > the Windows crowd will soon have it's own equivalent... (minus the OS)
>
> Whee . . . even worse than having to use a Mac.
>
> This is just one man's opinion, of course.
+ 42! (yes ! means what you think it does ;)

IOW there is no doubt TextMate is a great piece of SW, it is not Open
Source, for some of us this is a big burden.
And for those who think it is not, just imagine there will be no
TextMate around anymore in some future time...

Robert

-- Kent Beck

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
> Just for the sake of completness (and for those that don't know vim):
> currently there are 1947 vim plugins listed at vim.sf.net and about
> 1300 tips for customization. You can also extend vim in one of
> vimscript, python, *ruby*, tcl and/or mzscheme... so I really don't
> think Emacs is more customizable than Vim. Those being said, I love
> Emacs just as much as Vim, they both rock!
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

I must confess that

a. I don't use most of the extras Vim gives over good old vi, and
b. Hard-core geek that I am, I never learned either Teco or Emacs.