block_given? problem

westlin9

7/20/2007 11:17:00 AM

I can't figure out why the do...end block isn't detected by the
"block_given?" function. The problem occurs when a method call with a
block is used in a puts statement. See the code example below.
Can some one explain this to me please? Is this a bug?

class TheClass
def self.TheMethod()
if block_given?
puts "yes, block given"
else
puts "no block is given"
end
'return val'

# ok
puts TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}

# block not detected
puts TheClass.TheMethod do |param|

# ok
a = TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
puts a

# ok
a = TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
puts a

8 Answers

Robert Dober

On 7/20/07, westlin9@gmail.com <westlin9@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't figure out why the do...end block isn't detected by the
> "block_given?" function. The problem occurs when a method call with a
> block is used in a puts statement. See the code example below.
> Can some one explain this to me please? Is this a bug?
>

> class TheClass
> def self.TheMethod()
> if block_given?
> puts "yes, block given"
> else
> puts "no block is given"
> end
> 'return val'
>
> # ok
> puts TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
>
> # block not detected
> puts TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
> 123
> end
>
> # ok
> a = TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
> puts a
>
> # ok
> a = TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
> 123
> end
> puts a

puts( TheClass.TheMethod do nil end )

do...end and {} do not have the same precedence, thus, without the ()
you are doing this
puts( TheClass.TheMethod ) do nil end

HTH
Robert

-- Kent Beck

westlin9

On 20 Juli, 14:04, "Robert Dober" <robert.do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/07, westl...@gmail.com <westl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I can't figure out why the do...end block isn't detected by the
> > "block_given?" function. The problem occurs when a method call with a
> > block is used in a puts statement. See the code example below.
> > Can some one explain this to me please? Is this a bug?
>
> > class TheClass
> > def self.TheMethod()
> > if block_given?
> > puts "yes, block given"
> > else
> > puts "no block is given"
> > end
> > 'return val'
> > end
> > end
>
> > # ok
> > puts TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
>
> > # block not detected
> > puts TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
> > 123
> > end
>
> > # ok
> > a = TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
> > puts a
>
> > # ok
> > a = TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
> > 123
> > end
> > puts a
>
> puts( TheClass.TheMethod do nil end )
>
> do...end and {} do not have the same precedence, thus, without the ()
> you are doing this
> puts( TheClass.TheMethod ) do nil end
>
> HTH
> Robert
>
> --
> I always knew that one day Smalltalk would replace Java.
> I just didn't know it would be called Ruby
> -- Kent Beck- D?lj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Thanks

Mariusz Pekala

On 2007-07-20 20:19:58 +0900 (Fri, Jul), westlin9@gmail.com wrote:
> I can't figure out why the do...end block isn't detected by the
> "block_given?" function. The problem occurs when a method call with a
> block is used in a puts statement. See the code example below.
> Can some one explain this to me please? Is this a bug?
>

> class TheClass
> def self.TheMethod()
> if block_given?
> puts "yes, block given"
> else
> puts "no block is given"
> end
> 'return val'
>
> # ok
> puts TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
>
> # block not detected
> puts TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
> 123
> end

This is because do..end block gets attached to the 'puts' instead of
TheMethod.

do..end and {||..} differ in precedence. {||..} binds to the rightmost
method, while do..end to the leftmost one.

> # ok
> a = TheClass.TheMethod {|param| 123}
> puts a
>
> # ok
> a = TheClass.TheMethod do |param|
> 123
> end
> puts a

There you have no ambiguity as there is only one method call.

Checked by 'grep -i virus $MESSAGE'
Trust me.

Rick DeNatale

On 7/20/07, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com> wrote:

> do...end and {} do not have the same precedence, thus, without the ()
> you are doing this
> puts( TheClass.TheMethod ) do nil end

do..end vs {}
and vs. &&
or vs. ||
not vs !

I think that it can be said that generally in ruby "symbols bind
tighter than words"

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

DanielSan

On 9/16/2010 4:47 AM, The Peeler wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:52:04 -0700, DanielSan
> <danielsan@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/2010 3:49 AM, The Peeler wrote:

>>> OK, and I have faith that God doesn't do it.
>>
>> So, it's Lucifer/Satan?
>
> No, it's not. Shit happens. Simple as that.

But it wouldn't if God hadn't created death.

--
DanielSan -- alt.atheism #2226
EAC Warden - Occam Asylum

The Peeler

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:54:53 -0700, DanielSan
<danielsan@speakeasy.net> wrote:

>On 9/16/2010 3:49 AM, The Peeler wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:41:49 -0700, DanielSan
>> <danielsan@speakeasy.net> wrote:

>>> It takes faith. :-]
>>
>> OK, and I have faith that God doesn't do it.
>
>Oh, by the way:
>
>Death came from Adam and Eve eating from the Tree, according to the
>Bible, right?

Not exactly.

>God purportedly "knows everything". God would KNOW that they would eat
>from the tree but He put it there anyway and then punished them for
>doing exactly as He knew they would. Therefore, God created death.

Only for those naive people who take the Bible literally.

DanielSan

Then where did it come from?

--
DanielSan -- alt.atheism #2226
EAC Warden - Occam Asylum
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye
of reason: The Morning Daylight appears
plainer when you put out your Candle."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1758

Seon

"The Peeler" <peelingthe@invalid.admin> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 02:38:06 -0700, DanielSan
> <danielsan@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>>On 9/16/2010 2:31 AM, The Peeler wrote:

>>> Pro-choice = pro-death.
>>
>>Pro-choicers don't set bombs.
>
> Pro-deathers kill hundreds of thousands without bombs.

Yep.