[ANN] god 0.2.0 released

Tom Werner

7/19/2007 6:21:00 PM

A lot of work has gone into god since the last release. Say goodbye to
polling for process status--support for event based conditions via
kqueue/netlink has been added (thanks Kevin Clark)! Only a few events
are currently supported (most prominently process exit), but the way is
now open for the addition of other events. A new, advanced syntax is
available (in addition to the familiar simple syntax) that gives you
full power over the new state based lifecycle of your Watches. Updated
documentation is available on the website:

http://god.ruby...

WHAT IS GOD?

God is an easy to configure, easy to extend monitoring framework written
in Ruby.

Keeping your server processes and tasks running should be a simple part
of your deployment process. God aims to be the simplest, most powerful
monitoring application available.

DISCLAIMER

God is still very young, I'd love to get feedback and bug reports, but I
do not yet recommend you use it for mission critical tasks. I personally
use it in production but then I'm a daring fellow.

INSTALL

sudo gem install god

* note: currently tested only on Redhat Linux and Darwin (won't work on
Windows)

FEATURES

* Config file is written in Ruby
* Easily write your own custom conditions in Ruby
* Supports both poll and event based conditions
* Different poll conditions can have different intervals

EXAMPLE

The easiest way to understand how god will make your life better is by
looking at a sample config file. The following configuration file is
what I use at gravatar.com to keep the mongrels running:

# file: gravatar.god
# run with: god start -c /path/to/gravatar.god
#
# This is the actual config file used to keep the mongrels of
# gravatar.com running.

RAILS_ROOT = "/var/www/gravatar2/current"

God.meddle do |god|
%w{8200 8201 8202}.each do |port|
god.watch do |w|
w.name = "gravatar2-mongrel-#{port}"
w.interval = 30 # seconds default
w.start = "mongrel_rails cluster::start --only #{port} -C #{RAILS_ROOT}/config/mongrel_cluster.yml"
w.stop = "mongrel_rails cluster::stop --only #{port} -C #{RAILS_ROOT}/config/mongrel_cluster.yml"
w.grace = 10 # seconds

pid_file = File.join(RAILS_ROOT, "log/mongrel.#{port}.pid")

w.behavior(:clean_pid_file) do |b|
b.pid_file = pid_file
end

w.start_if do |start|
start.condition(:process_running) do |c|
c.interval = 5 # seconds
c.running = false
c.pid_file = pid_file

w.restart_if do |restart|
restart.condition(:memory_usage) do |c|
c.pid_file = pid_file
c.above = (150 * 1024) # 150mb
c.times = [3, 5] # 3 out of 5 intervals
end

restart.condition(:cpu_usage) do |c|
c.pid_file = pid_file
c.above = 50 # percent
c.times = 5

DOCS

Detailed documentation is available at http://god.ruby...

CHANGES

== 0.2.0 / 2007-07-18

* Rewrote innards to use a state and event based lifecycle
* Basic support for events via kqueue (bsd/darwin) and netlink/pec
(linux) [kevinclark]
* Added advanced syntax (simple syntax calls advanced api underneath)
* Condition returns have changed meaning. With simple syntax, a true
return activates block
* Updated http://god.rub... with updated simple config and new
advanced config

AUTHORS

Tom Preston-Werner
Kevin Clark

10 Answers

Gregory Brown

On 7/19/07, Tom Werner <pubsub@rubyisawesome.com> wrote:

> * Updated http://god.rub... with updated simple config and new
> advanced config

RubyGorge?

bet you meant:
http://god.rub...

Daniel Berger

On Jul 19, 12:29 pm, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 7/19/07, Tom Werner <pub...@rubyisawesome.com> wrote:
>
> > * Updatedhttp://god.rubygor... updated simple config and new
> > advanced config
>
> RubyGorge?

It's where the bad projects go when they die.

Regards,

Dan

Glen F. Pankow

Daniel Berger wrote:

> On Jul 19, 12:29 pm, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 7/19/07, Tom Werner <pub...@rubyisawesome.com> wrote:
>>
>>> * Updatedhttp://god.rubygor... updated simple config and new
>>> advanced config
>> RubyGorge?
>
> It's where the bad projects go when they die.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

<facetious>

No, that would be RubyGehenna. We just don't say so because we
wouldn't want to be insensitive to our superstitiously-correct
friends, now would we?

</facetious>

Glen

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 03:46:32AM +0900, Daniel Berger wrote:

> On Jul 19, 12:29 pm, "Gregory Brown" <gregory.t.br...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 7/19/07, Tom Werner <pub...@rubyisawesome.com> wrote:
> >
> > > * Updatedhttp://god.rubygor... updated simple config and new
> > > advanced config
> >
> > RubyGorge?
>
> It's where the bad projects go when they die.

Man . . . I want to register rubygorge.org now. I just don't know what
I'd do with it.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Paul Graham: "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to

Sherm Pendley

Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> writes:

> Man . . . I want to register rubygorge.org now. I just don't know what
> I'd do with it.

Too late - it's registered to a typo squatter.

sherm--

--
Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://...
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourc...

Hal E. Fulton

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> writes:
>
>> Man . . . I want to register rubygorge.org now. I just don't know what
>> I'd do with it.
>
> Too late - it's registered to a typo squatter.

That makes my forge rise.

Hal

MenTaLguY

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 08:25 +0900, Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> writes:
>
> > Man . . . I want to register rubygorge.org now. I just don't know what
> > I'd do with it.
>
> Too late - it's registered to a typo squatter.

rubygehenna.org looks like it's still available.

-mental

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:21:37AM +0900, MenTaLguY wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 08:25 +0900, Sherm Pendley wrote:
> > Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> writes:
> >
> > > Man . . . I want to register rubygorge.org now. I just don't know what
> > > I'd do with it.
> >
> > Too late - it's registered to a typo squatter.
>
> rubygehenna.org looks like it's still available.

That's not as funny . . . but I'd like to see what someone does with it,
if it gets registered and used.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use

Martin DeMello

On 7/20/07, MenTaLguY <mental@rydia.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 08:25 +0900, Sherm Pendley wrote:
> > Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> writes:
> >
> > > Man . . . I want to register rubygorge.org now. I just don't know what
> > > I'd do with it.
> >
> > Too late - it's registered to a typo squatter.
>
> rubygehenna.org looks like it's still available.

To hell with that.

m.

yourname

In article <k26r7b$tbk$1@news.albasani.net>, "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> >>You're wrong if you remember this was common before Who Shot J.R.?
>
> >>There were certainly shows that introduced plots or characters at the end
> >>of the season that would be important for the next season, but that's not
> >>a cliffhanger.
>
> >If that's what you want to believe. :->
> For instance, the show Kidnapped resolved the kidnapping. However, during
> the season, a mysterious criminal from Knapp's past contact him and in the
> finale, implied that he'd committed another crime. This set up the story
> for season 2, if there had been another season.
>
> If the show had ended on a cliffhanger, the kidnapping would not have
> been resolved.

What a complete moron! The viewers left wondering what the other crime
means it was a cliffhanger ... but you continue believing whatever utter
nonsense you want to delude yourself with. As I said, I gave you the
facts, whether or not you believe them is your problem. I'm done. :-