Re: Taking the bull by its horns [was background]

John Carter

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

John Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> The only language I ever truly fell in love with was Lisp 1.5. It's been
>> downhill ever since. :)
>
> Well, it was the lisp in lisp interpreter in the original Mcarthy book
> that I fell in love with. (No, you can't have my copy)
>
> However the joy in Joy interpreter trumps even that.
> http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy/jp-j...
>
> Ps: Your taste is Impeccable Sir.
>

> John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
> Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
> PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz
> New Zealand

I do have the MIT Press Lisp 1.5 manual and McCarthy's two papers on
Lisp. I more or less don't like Common Lisp -- it's just too bloated. So
I think I'm more a Schemer now.

Martin DeMello

On 7/18/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:

> I do have the MIT Press Lisp 1.5 manual and McCarthy's two papers on
> Lisp. I more or less don't like Common Lisp -- it's just too bloated. So
> I think I'm more a Schemer now.

Which dialect? I've gotten into Chicken lately and it's very pleasant to use.

martin

Damjan Rems

Male 43years
Begin with basic on C64
My first job was IBM-S3 and RPG II, continued to IBM AS400 RPG 400, CL.
Learned about PC started with Turbo Pascal then Clipper, some REXX on
OS/2.
After that Lotus Notes and Java.
Curently working as a system administrator and Ruby rocks for everyday
scripting.
Location:Slovenia, on the sunny side of the Alps.

by
TheR

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 7/18/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
>> >
>> I do have the MIT Press Lisp 1.5 manual and McCarthy's two papers on
>> Lisp. I more or less don't like Common Lisp -- it's just too bloated. So
>> I think I'm more a Schemer now.
>
> Which dialect? I've gotten into Chicken lately and it's very pleasant to
> use.
>
> martin

I haven't settled on an implementation yet. Chicken is a good one, but
PLT has an excellent user interface (Dr Scheme), gambit-c has the
Erlang-like Termite for concurrent programming, Guile is ubiquitous, and
I think there is another one that's the fastest available because it has
the best compiler. At one point last year I installed all of the ones in
Gentoo's Portage repository to have a shootout, but I got nudged back
into Ruby shortly afterwards.

I think when all the smoke clears, it will be Gambit, though, because of
Termite. They're on the edge of a major release -- I think they're at
release candidate stage now.

Robert Dober

On 7/18/07, Damjan Rems <d_rems@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Location:Slovenia, on the sunny side of the Alps.
I know that will reveal my origin, but what the heck ;)
That is *not funny*, well that's why I left;)
<snip>
R.

Robert Dober

oops I guess there is no language called cppi, so that will just add
to C/C++ score :(

Robert Dober

Erratum
<snip>
logo ... 4 15.38%
> (O)Caml ... 4 15.38%
(O)Caml ... 6 23.08%
<snip>
caml ... 0 --> (O)Caml

Martin DeMello

On 7/18/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> I think there is another one that's the fastest available because it has
> the best compiler. At one point last year I installed all of the ones in

Stalin, but it's R4RS and seems to be more an academic research
project than anything that has an actual community around it. The USP
is that it does whole-program optimisation.

martin

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 7/18/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
>> I think there is another one that's the fastest available because it has
>> the best compiler. At one point last year I installed all of the ones in
>
> Stalin, but it's R4RS and seems to be more an academic research
> project than anything that has an actual community around it. The USP
> is that it does whole-program optimisation.
>
> martin

I installed *every* Scheme that Gentoo has to offer this morning. That
gave me:

bigloo
chicken
drscheme
elk
gambit
gauche
guile
mit-scheme
scheme48
scm
stklos
tinyscheme

Sorry that Stalin isn't there. Well ... actually ... not really, given
that I'm a raging fan of Shostakovich. :)

Damjan Rems

Robert Dober wrote:
> On 7/18/07, Damjan Rems <d_rems@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Location:Slovenia, on the sunny side of the Alps.
> I know that will reveal my origin, but what the heck ;)
> That is *not funny*, well that's why I left;)

Nc bat. Se vedno brcamo ;)

In Engslish. Don't worry. We are still alive and kicking.

by
TheR