Taking the bull by its horns [was background]

Robert Dober

7/17/2007 1:27:00 PM

Ok I'll put my cards on the table
male 45y
bg: Pascal (who's laughing?) Ada83, perl, python [ I only chose the
languages that influenced me, so I left C, bash and awk away ;)]
wk: Sys and netadmin Arrggg
location: Paris/France

Hope to see lots of others

Cheers
Robert

-- Kent Beck

102 Answers

Todd Burch

Male 44years
Well known Languages: IBM Mainframe Assembler, REXX, Ruby
OK known Languages: C/C++, Java, Javascript
Work: Mainframe DataBase (DB2) Performance Monitor Developer
Location: Katy, Texas, USA.

Todd

Jano Svitok

male 28y
bg: basic, pascal, c, java, python, c++ (symbian), 2 yrs ruby fulltime
(automated testing of c++ network app), now c++ win32
wk: C++ programmer, mobile-related
location: Bratislava/Slovakia

Jano

Robert Klemme

m40y, located in Germany

Studies in CS using Pascal at the time, before that juvenile Z80
hackery, after university a bit of C++ coding and then Java. I also
like bash / sh programming and use Ruby for small day to day data
mining / manipulating tasks for which I used Perl once (must be ages
ago). Currently diving into J2EE. Ah, and of course lots of SQL
(mainly Oracle and SQL Server).

robert

PS: Robert, IMHO Pascal is a great language for learning to program
because it omits the dimension of OO and allows to focus on proper
structuring. Also, it's far more readable than C.

SonOfLilit

m18y, Technion, Haifa.

Teenage hackery in BASIC, then a flurry of languages, settling
eventually on C, then Ruby.
work: C++, C and .NET internals doing software DRM for a security
software company, then C# doing data analysis for a web startup
(ClickTale... Every webmaster should have a look at them, they have a
great product and I work for them just because of how cool the product
and the people are).

Aur

Ari Brown

Is anyone here in the Dartmouth/ Lake Sunapee area of New Hampshire?
Yeah, a little sketchy and dodgy, but I'm wondering if there are any
other Ruby programmers outside of Portsmouth, NH.

Checking round
~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.

Robert Dober

On 7/17/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com> wrote:
> m18y, Technion, Haifa.
My respect I'd probably added 10 years when I was your age;)

Cheers
R.

Michael Fellinger

male 22y
bg: dabbling in QBASIC, then a tiny bit of delphi when i was around
8-10 and finally PHP, discovered my love for ruby and programming
years later, now learning everything that comes along (smalltalk,
lisp/scheme, dylan, asm, bash, neko, haskell), lucky to have skipped
C/C++/Java and all the others :)
wk: IT-guy for everything
location: Tokyo/Japan

^ manveru

Todd Benson

m33y
bg: (programming, in choronological order) basic, fortran, pascal, c,
mathematica, c++, java, sql, php; none of which I'm particularly good
at (well, I'm ok in sql)
wk: engineering, network admin, some web development, mostly in the
data storage industry (robotic tape libraries)

Todd

John Joyce

male 32y
background: Art, dabbling in C, Objective-C, designing web pages in
xhtml & CSS, dabbled w/PHP but found Ruby to be very lovely and
sensible, and more coherent than PHP. Learning Rails now.
work: none at the moment, but open to offers
location: Austin, Texas; previous 5 years in Tokyo, Japan

John Joyce

Ryan Davis

On Jul 17, 2007, at 06:26 , Robert Dober wrote:

> Ok I'll put my cards on the table
> male 45y
> bg: Pascal (who's laughing?) Ada83, perl, python [ I only chose the
> languages that influenced me, so I left C, bash and awk away ;)]
> wk: Sys and netadmin Arrggg
> location: Paris/France

male 34 seattle wa

bg (chrono): logo, basic, hypercard, forth, pascal, c, object pascal,
modula-2, smalltalk (finally fell in love with a language), sh/csh, c+
+, applescript, prolog, bash, perl, java, python, ruby, objective-c,
lisp/scheme, and some others I've since forgotten about scattered
throughout.

wk: consultant, mostly ruby/rails