Re: The Pebble in the Ruby Shoe

seebs

7/17/2007 12:52:00 AM

In message <8f6eb7340707161657s7d87f770v98955df23d7a8f8a@mail.gmail.com>, "Robert Parker" write
s:
>Anyone who has serious difficulty with 0 based arrays should consider
>other employment. Food waiting, bar tending or similar would be a
>better choice.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I have to say, I don't think 0-based
indexing is at ALL a bad thing. I agree that it's arguably not perfectly
intuitive, but... Well, that's true of a lot of things, and sometimes
that's because our intuition doesn't work very well.

-s

1 Answer

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <8f6eb7340707161657s7d87f770v98955df23d7a8f8a@mail.gmail.com>, "Robert Parker" write
> s:
>> Anyone who has serious difficulty with 0 based arrays should consider
>> other employment. Food waiting, bar tending or similar would be a
>> better choice.
>
> I wouldn't go quite that far, but I have to say, I don't think 0-based
> indexing is at ALL a bad thing. I agree that it's arguably not perfectly
> intuitive, but... Well, that's true of a lot of things, and sometimes
> that's because our intuition doesn't work very well.
>
> -s

Anyone who's been immersed in scientific computing for any reasonable
length of time will probably be equally at home in both 0-based and
1-based indexing. I don't know about business computing, though, because
I haven't done a lot of it. I think those folks got a smack in the face
when decimal computers withered away, though. :)