Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/16/2007 2:13:00 AM

In message <6363691e3a5ecce5b9f376f03752bf72@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Clarify: I have a combat *system* planned out. I don't have a combat
>*engine*. I planned on using about the same system that WoW does, only
>slightly modifed to better fit the game.

You know, it's funny you should say that, because when I was about your age,
I wrote a game in which I dutifully emulated the very idiosyncratic inventory
system of Omega very closely. In retrospect, that was not a very original
choice.

>Clarify: I don't care about
>spelling when I'm on forums or an online game, etc. I do use proper
>spelling in other things. Like resumes, E-Mails, important documents,
>etc. I usually use spellcheck on those kinds of things.

And that's gonna bite you, hard, in programming.

It's really tempting to rely on "spellcheck" to solve everything.
However, it cant salve every problem ewe might encounter.

>Problem with
>Ruby Forums is, they have such a low-grade forum that it has no
>spellcheck, no bold, italic, or underline text, no changing fonts, no
>changing color or size, no sigs, no avatars, no sections for specific
>things.

Well, given that many of us are reading this in plain text, not on any
"forums", but on a mailing list, I guess I see that as a feature.

Why not use your own spell checking? Or, for that matter, just learn
your native language to some kind of basic competence?

If you can't write competently without a special program to help you,
you're screwed. Sooner or later, someone's going to have you in for an
interview, and have you write some text... Without a spellchecker.

Congratulations, unless you've got an actual clinical diagnosis of dyslexia,
you just didn't get the job. I haven't got the time to pick up after people.

>Anyway, I have what I want planned. I don't have the means to
>create it by myself currently. Maybe, probably awhile from now, I will
>have either someone to do it for me, or a better Programming Language to
>write it in. Obviously Im not going to write it in Ruby.

Well, it wouldn't be my first choice for a whole game engine, although
there's certainly some aspects of a game it'd be fine for. (I'm actually
toying with the idea of resurrecting my ancient hopes of building a good
roguelike game.) On the other hand, if you really want to make a full game,
you're eventually going to need to learn all these tedious things, and
Ruby is one of the languages that has the least stuff to deal with between
you and what you need to learn to make a game.

-s

1 Answer

John W Kennedy

Peter Seebach wrote:
> Well, given that many of us are reading this in plain text, not on any
> "forums", but on a mailing list,

Not to mention comp.lang.ruby.

--
John W. Kennedy
"...when you're trying to build a house of cards, the last thing you