Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/16/2007 12:37:00 AM

In message <5441fa8e72ce47285b41620751fea38e@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>I understood it rather well. I just needed to clarify if I had to code
>another line to replace aa with river. As in I wanted to know if I had
>to do something stupid like aa=river, or if I could just subsitute
>river, for aa. So the jokes on you.

Well, that's the thing. You DIDN'T understand.

> Perhaps, but why take hours of studying when you can ask and know in 5
>minutes? It's just common sense, woman.

Are you familiar with the old thing "give a man a fish, feed him for a day,
teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime?"

It wouldn't take "hours" of studying if you're half as smart as you think
you are. Even if it did, you wouldn't just learn the answer to that
one question; you'd learn the answer to a whole bunch of other questions.

Studying is WAY faster than asking bunches of easy questions.

>I looked hyperbole up. It is nearly the same thing as exageration. It
>wasn't complex stupid. I assumed it took about 5 seconds to write puts
>('hello world'), I have 4 hours a day when I have nothing to do.
>4X60X60= how many seconds that is. That/5= how many times I could do
>Hello World. around 250k.

Yes, but since no one ever told you to write that same program over and
over, it's still missing the point.

>And I asked how a few questions about Hello World. No-one answered them.

I didn't see them.

>Hehe. I'm am completely on the point. If you will look at the top of the
>I need serious help thread, it says nothing about wanting to know how to
>start coding.

Yes, but if you want to write a game, you'll have to learn programming
techniques eventually.

BTW, are you seriously trying to use "woman" as an insult? It sure reads
that way.

-s

2 Answers

Sy Ali

On 7/15/07, Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net> wrote:
> Are you familiar with the old thing "give a man a fish, feed him for a day,
> teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime?"

I prefer "Give a man a match, keep him warm for a night. Light him on
fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

;)

Chad Perrin

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:05:58PM +0900, Sy Ali wrote:
> On 7/15/07, Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net> wrote:
> >Are you familiar with the old thing "give a man a fish, feed him for a day,
> >teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime?"
>
> I prefer "Give a man a match, keep him warm for a night. Light him on
> fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

That's something like a quadruple-entendre (at least) in this discussion.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when