Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/16/2007 12:18:00 AM

In message <014ac61748b0c3e081129f75c81ab99f@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Ahh. The sour sound of stupid people. The people who responded (with the
>exception of Aur, who suggested the Logo language to me) did not listen.
>I asked for help on how to start making a very simple game. Not advice
>on how to start programming.

Well, this may seem odd to you, but if I come into a room full of programmers,
and ask them to tell me how to make a program, I expect them to try to tell
me how to learn to program.

>And, unlike most of these programmers, I
>only have programming as something I want to do for fun.

Well, you know, back when I was first learning to program, I was the same
way. I'd been writing programs for ten years just for the fun of it before
it occurred to me that people got paid for that stuff.

>I know most of
>you are getting paid to program or w/e, but I'm not. I really just want
>to have fun. And puts('hello world!') over and over again is not fun.

Right.

But NO ONE TOLD YOU TO DO THAT. That's your own imagination, not anything
people told you.

-s

13 Answers

Joe Wiltrout

unknown wrote:
> In message <014ac61748b0c3e081129f75c81ab99f@ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> Wiltrout writes:
>>Ahh. The sour sound of stupid people. The people who responded (with the
>>exception of Aur, who suggested the Logo language to me) did not listen.
>>I asked for help on how to start making a very simple game. Not advice
>>on how to start programming.
>
> Well, this may seem odd to you, but if I come into a room full of
> programmers,
> and ask them to tell me how to make a program, I expect them to try to
> tell
> me how to learn to program.
>
>>And, unlike most of these programmers, I
>>only have programming as something I want to do for fun.
>
> Well, you know, back when I was first learning to program, I was the
> same
> way. I'd been writing programs for ten years just for the fun of it
> before
> it occurred to me that people got paid for that stuff.
>
>>I know most of
>>you are getting paid to program or w/e, but I'm not. I really just want
>>to have fun. And puts('hello world!') over and over again is not fun.
>
> Right.
>
> But NO ONE TOLD YOU TO DO THAT. That's your own imagination, not
> anything
> people told you.
>
> -s

Hate to break it to you, but people did tell me to write basic programs
over and over. I use the term Hello World to symbolize all of the stupid
little basic commands and words that people want me to do. It occured to
me that people write programs and get paid too, but one tihng occured to
me to. I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AS IT IS. And if your going to quote me on my
I don't have money to spend on books and the like statement, look at it
closer. BOOKS AND THE LIKE! I have plenty of money to spend on things I
want or need. Learning to program games was just one thing I decided to
start after hitting my head on a low ceiling. Of course at that time my
game was going to be called Ceiling Killers. Where you were a dude with
fireworks and shot roman candles at peoples ceilings. Course that didnt
seem like much fun after my head cleared. Thats what 3 hours knocked out
will do to ya.

Todd Benson

On 7/15/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja@aol.com> wrote:
> unknown wrote:
> > In message <014ac61748b0c3e081129f75c81ab99f@ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> > Wiltrout writes:
> >>Ahh. The sour sound of stupid people. The people who responded (with the
> >>exception of Aur, who suggested the Logo language to me) did not listen.
> >>I asked for help on how to start making a very simple game. Not advice
> >>on how to start programming.
> >
> > Well, this may seem odd to you, but if I come into a room full of
> > programmers,
> > and ask them to tell me how to make a program, I expect them to try to
> > tell
> > me how to learn to program.
> >
> >>And, unlike most of these programmers, I
> >>only have programming as something I want to do for fun.
> >
> > Well, you know, back when I was first learning to program, I was the
> > same
> > way. I'd been writing programs for ten years just for the fun of it
> > before
> > it occurred to me that people got paid for that stuff.
> >
> >>I know most of
> >>you are getting paid to program or w/e, but I'm not. I really just want
> >>to have fun. And puts('hello world!') over and over again is not fun.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > But NO ONE TOLD YOU TO DO THAT. That's your own imagination, not
> > anything
> > people told you.
> >
> > -s
>
> Hate to break it to you, but people did tell me to write basic programs
> over and over. I use the term Hello World to symbolize all of the stupid
> little basic commands and words that people want me to do. It occured to
> me that people write programs and get paid too, but one tihng occured to
> me to. I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AS IT IS. And if your going to quote me on my
> I don't have money to spend on books and the like statement, look at it
> closer. BOOKS AND THE LIKE! I have plenty of money to spend on things I
> want or need. Learning to program games was just one thing I decided to
> start after hitting my head on a low ceiling. Of course at that time my
> game was going to be called Ceiling Killers. Where you were a dude with
> fireworks and shot roman candles at peoples ceilings. Course that didnt
> seem like much fun after my head cleared. Thats what 3 hours knocked out
> will do to ya.

Wow. This is like watching a train wreck. Or, like, a really bad
soap opera. Joe, I feel bad for ya, man. I hope whatever money you
have can buy you respect, because your self-proclaimed genius
certainly doesn't.

I've seen some spoiled brats on forums before, but you definitely take
the ticket -- to such an extreme, even, that I have a hard time
believing your real. I'm sure your family is forthrightly proud of
you. I'm not being sarcastic, either.

Todd

Todd Benson

Oh, Joe, one more thing. If you really are a linebacker, stay off the 'roids.

Todd

Todd Benson

On 7/15/07, Todd Benson <caduceass@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen some spoiled brats on forums before, but you definitely take
> the ticket -- to such an extreme, even, that I have a hard time
> believing your real. I'm sure your family is forthrightly proud of
> you. I'm not being sarcastic, either.

I meant I'm not being _facetious_. I'm definitely being sarcastic.

> Todd

Joe Wiltrout

Todd Benson wrote:
> On 7/15/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja@aol.com> wrote:
>> > and ask them to tell me how to make a program, I expect them to try to
>> > it occurred to me that people got paid for that stuff.
>> >
>> start after hitting my head on a low ceiling. Of course at that time my
>> game was going to be called Ceiling Killers. Where you were a dude with
>> fireworks and shot roman candles at peoples ceilings. Course that didnt
>> seem like much fun after my head cleared. Thats what 3 hours knocked out
>> will do to ya.
>
> Wow. This is like watching a train wreck. Or, like, a really bad
> soap opera. Joe, I feel bad for ya, man. I hope whatever money you
> have can buy you respect, because your self-proclaimed genius
> certainly doesn't.
>
> I've seen some spoiled brats on forums before, but you definitely take
> the ticket -- to such an extreme, even, that I have a hard time
> believing your real. I'm sure your family is forthrightly proud of
> you. I'm not being sarcastic, either.
>
> Todd

Ahh. The family is proud of me. Let me run off the list again.
Linebacker, mathematician, and I'll stop with those 2. Personally, those
are my 2 favorites. Because Linebacker=Popular. Math=Smart. And being a
Popular, and still smart, Linebacker equals one giant life long partay!
SO while yall 40 year olds are glad to see a bug worked out of your new
blogs and such, me and the rest of the teenage crowd are out partying,
and yall are in your houses and opening windows and yelling 'You kids
stay off my lawn!' while me and my crowd and yelling 'Toga! Toga!' (not
really, just what yall old guys are used to), and then at about 2 AM we
egg your house, spray paint your walls, and slash your tires and your
all like 'ILL CALL THE COPS!' and they never find out who did it and
then we all laugh. The younger crowd definately has it better.

Joe Wiltrout

Todd Benson wrote:
> Oh, Joe, one more thing. If you really are a linebacker, stay off the
> 'roids.
>
> Todd

Lol. Good one. Who needs em? Not when your natrually kick ass like me.
Me, the other two linebackers, the FS, the equipment manager (he missed
try-outs), the D-Line, and fullback are the ones that the little
freshman tend to avoid. So do the sophmores actually.

Joe Wiltrout

And, since this coding stuff ain't much fun anyway (cept logo, but thats
just for no particular reason. I just like seeing it do stuff.), I'll
probably be at the gym for an extra 2 or 3 hours a day. So, as you see,
no need for drugs. Performance-enhancing drugs anyway.

Mark Gallop

Joe Wiltrout wrote:
> Ahh. The family is proud of me. Let me run off the list again.
> Linebacker, mathematician, and I'll stop with those 2. Personally, those
> are my 2 favorites. Because Linebacker=Popular. Math=Smart. And being a
> Popular, and still smart, Linebacker equals one giant life long partay!
> SO while yall 40 year olds are glad to see a bug worked out of your new
> blogs and such, me and the rest of the teenage crowd are out partying,
> and yall are in your houses and opening windows and yelling 'You kids
> stay off my lawn!' while me and my crowd and yelling 'Toga! Toga!' (not
> really, just what yall old guys are used to), and then at about 2 AM we
> egg your house, spray paint your walls, and slash your tires and your
> all like 'ILL CALL THE COPS!' and they never find out who did it and
> then we all laugh. The younger crowd definately has it better.
Popular AND smart. You are obviously destined for great things.

..and then you egg the house. hahaha. You crazy kids.

Mark

Joe Wiltrout

Mark Gallop wrote:
> Joe Wiltrout wrote:
>> all like 'ILL CALL THE COPS!' and they never find out who did it and
>> then we all laugh. The younger crowd definately has it better.
> Popular AND smart. You are obviously destined for great things.
>
> ..and then you egg the house. hahaha. You crazy kids.
>
> Mark

Yes. Us crazy kids. The problem is, we really don't care about destined
for great things. Because all the nerds turn out like my uncle, who is
the CFO for some company in Boston, yet all of us turn out as the CEO of
the company that the CFO works for. Besides, what harm is few egged
houses going to do to a career?

Travis D Warlick Jr

Joe Wiltrout wrote:
> Todd Benson wrote:
>>>>
>>> start after hitting my head on a low ceiling. Of course at that time my
>>> game was going to be called Ceiling Killers. Where you were a dude with
>>> fireworks and shot roman candles at peoples ceilings. Course that didnt
>>> seem like much fun after my head cleared. Thats what 3 hours knocked out
>>> will do to ya.
>> Wow. This is like watching a train wreck. Or, like, a really bad
>> soap opera. Joe, I feel bad for ya, man. I hope whatever money you
>> have can buy you respect, because your self-proclaimed genius
>> certainly doesn't.
>>
>> I've seen some spoiled brats on forums before, but you definitely take
>> the ticket -- to such an extreme, even, that I have a hard time
>> believing your real. I'm sure your family is forthrightly proud of
>> you. I'm not being sarcastic, either.
>>
>> Todd
>

> Ahh. The family is proud of me. Let me run off the list again.
> Linebacker, mathematician, and I'll stop with those 2. Personally, those

About your smarts -- you ought to know that, statistically, Hackers
(like the ones on this list) have IQs between 135-170. And I know that
a couple people here have PhD's in Mathematics and do research in Math
subjects that would make your head spin, so I don't recommend showing
off your l33t math skills.

And about your "popularity":

"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."
-- Bill Gates

> are my 2 favorites. Because Linebacker=Popular. Math=Smart. And being a
> Popular, and still smart, Linebacker equals one giant life long partay!
> SO while yall 40 year olds are glad to see a bug worked out of your new
> blogs and such, me and the rest of the teenage crowd are out partying,
> and yall are in your houses and opening windows and yelling 'You kids
> stay off my lawn!' while me and my crowd and yelling 'Toga! Toga!' (not
> really, just what yall old guys are used to),

I'm in college, and we still have Toga parties, and we still yell 'Toga!
Toga!' Sorry to bust your bubble.

> and then at about 2 AM we
> egg your house, spray paint your walls, and slash your tires and your
> all like 'ILL CALL THE COPS!' and they never find out who did it and
> then we all laugh. The younger crowd definately has it better.

Just an FYI. In most states, violent trespassing can be met by the
property owner with violent force, so I don't recommend any violent
trespassing like you're dreaming.

Also, being that most of us are experienced hackers, we probably have
security systems setup so that you would be met with lights, alarms, and
cops before you could crap yourself. This means you would go to jail.
We would know who you were. And we would be the ones laughing.

--
Travis Warlick

"Programming in Java is like dealing with your mom --
it's kind, forgiving, and gently chastising.
Programming in C++ is like dealing with a disgruntled
girlfriend -- it's cold, unforgiving, and doesn't tell
you what you've done wrong."