Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/16/2007 12:17:00 AM

In message <ddddc4b99f44edc6be03a0f883e7a7f5@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Give me 10 examples of these 'basic programs'. Either way, people still
>told me to write them for a few months. so its still like 250 thousand
>times. Estimate* Probably not exact, but close.

What you seem to be not understanding is that they GET MORE COMPLICATED.

So, we start with hello world:
puts "hello, world!"

Then we make it ask the user's name:

name = gets.chomp
puts "hello, #{name}!"

By the end of that "few months", your idea of a basic or simple program
might be something which tries to carry on a simple conversation, or which
draws maps, or produces web pages, or whatever else interests you.

Around that time is when you start being well-prepared to actually tackle
a project the size of an interesting video game.

-s