Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/15/2007 11:35:00 PM

In message <773bc09514bf7646ac439e518a90ea0f@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Not really. People told me to run basic programs like Hello World for a
>few months.

Not "exactly the same thing over and over". Just simple stuff, work your way
up, learn your way around.

No one suggested you should keep doing exactly the same thing over and over.

-s

2 Answers

Joe Wiltrout

unknown wrote:
> In message <773bc09514bf7646ac439e518a90ea0f@ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> Wiltrout writes:
>>Not really. People told me to run basic programs like Hello World for a
>>few months.
>
> Not "exactly the same thing over and over". Just simple stuff, work
> your way
> up, learn your way around.
>
> No one suggested you should keep doing exactly the same thing over and
> over.
>
> -s

Give me 10 examples of these 'basic programs'. Either way, people still
told me to write them for a few months. so its still like 250 thousand
times. Estimate* Probably not exact, but close.

Chad Perrin

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 08:46:55AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
> unknown wrote:
> > In message <773bc09514bf7646ac439e518a90ea0f@ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> > Wiltrout writes:
> >>Not really. People told me to run basic programs like Hello World for a
> >>few months.
> >
> > Not "exactly the same thing over and over". Just simple stuff, work
> > your way
> > up, learn your way around.
> >
> > No one suggested you should keep doing exactly the same thing over and
> > over.
> >
> > -s
>
> Give me 10 examples of these 'basic programs'. Either way, people still
> told me to write them for a few months. so its still like 250 thousand
> times. Estimate* Probably not exact, but close.

I bet you could find ten examples of simple programs, of increasing
complexity, in Chris Pine's Learning to Program, in Why's Poignant Guide,
in Satish Talim's online tutorial, or in Brian Marick's Everyday
Scripting. More to the point, these books/tutorials (three of which are
available in some form online, for free) will actually teach you how to
use the principles employed in these programs to create programs for
arbitrary purposes of your own.

It's all part of a learning process -- like learning multiplication
tables before you try to leap into a linear algebra class in college.

. . but you're obviously not interested in actually learning anything.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
They always say that when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade.