Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/15/2007 10:37:00 PM

In message <a5843cdebd2ed0e10026df8e7b5b3163@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Ya know what? It originally was about Ruby. But then I changed my mind,
>and decided to try Java, which was ok. Then I tried UCB Logo and it
>rocks.

So maybe you should have gone to a list or forum related to these?

>And wtf does hyperbolic mean?

There's this thing called a "dictionary". You might look up the word
"hyperbole". Claiming that people told you to run hello world thousands
of times is "hyperbole".

-s

7 Answers

Joe Wiltrout

unknown wrote:
> In message <a5843cdebd2ed0e10026df8e7b5b3163@ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> Wiltrout writes:
>>Ya know what? It originally was about Ruby. But then I changed my mind,
>>and decided to try Java, which was ok. Then I tried UCB Logo and it
>>rocks.
>
> So maybe you should have gone to a list or forum related to these?
>
>>And wtf does hyperbolic mean?
>
> There's this thing called a "dictionary". You might look up the word
> "hyperbole". Claiming that people told you to run hello world thousands
> of times is "hyperbole".
>
> -s

Not really. People told me to run basic programs like Hello World for a
few months. It takes about 5 seconds to type puts ("Hello World!"). Lets
do some math. I have about 4 hours a day. Lemme use my phone calculater
cus its summer, and i dont like math. 4 hours times 60 minutes equals
240 minutes. 240 minutes times 60 seconds equals 14400 seconds. 14400
seconds divided by 5 equals 2880 basic programs per day. Times 31 days
in a month equals 89280. Times, say, 3 months, because thats what I
think when some1 says a few, equals 267840 basic programs before I move
on to something slightly less simple. So my
1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times statment was , as you
say, hyperbole. My thousands of statment was an understatment. It should
have been hundreds of thousands. You just got proved wrong sucker. Now
lets see if I only have 30 minutes a day. 32400 times. So, in no way,
was my thousands statment hyperbole. Save your hyperbole talk and go to
Texas.

Lloyd Linklater

> Claiming that people told you to run hello world thousands
> of times is "hyperbole".

5_000.times {p "Hello, World!"}

Sorry. I just HAD to...

Martin DeMello

On 7/16/07, Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net> wrote:

> There's this thing called a "dictionary". You might look up the word
> "hyperbole". Claiming that people told you to run hello world thousands
> of times is "hyperbole".

His dictionary failed to list "kno". And it very cheekily defined both
"hello" and "world", albeit once each. He threw it out in a fit of
pique.

martin

SonOfLilit

On 7/16/07, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net> wrote:
> >
> > There's this thing called a "dictionary". You might look up the word
> > "hyperbole". Claiming that people told you to run hello world thousands
> > of times is "hyperbole".
>
> His dictionary failed to list "kno". And it very cheekily defined both
> "hello" and "world", albeit once each. He threw it out in a fit of
> pique.
>
> martin

MINASWAN, Martin.

Please, let's turn this thread on-topic, OK? Thank you and thank
everyone NOT posting replies very much :)

Aur

Gregory Brown

On 7/16/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, let's turn this thread on-topic, OK? Thank you and thank
> everyone NOT posting replies very much :)

Please stop policing. Though I agree with what you're trying to do in
spirit, It's annoying to see you reply to every single comment people
make.

It's not your mailing list, Aur. Let it go.

Martin DeMello

On 7/17/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/16/07, Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > There's this thing called a "dictionary". You might look up the word
> > > "hyperbole". Claiming that people told you to run hello world thousands
> > > of times is "hyperbole".
> >
> > His dictionary failed to list "kno". And it very cheekily defined both
> > "hello" and "world", albeit once each. He threw it out in a fit of
> > pique.
> >
> > martin
>
> MINASWAN, Martin.
>
> Please, let's turn this thread on-topic, OK? Thank you and thank
> everyone NOT posting replies very much :)

The nice thing about threads is that they act as natural containment
boundaries for off-topicness. It's both cheap and easy to ignore
things at the level of a thread, and the incremental offtopicity of a
post in an already off-topic thread approaches zero.

(Srsly, and without sarcasm, if you don't have a threaded
mail/newsreader, you don't know what you're missing out on. It makes a
*huge* efficiency difference.)

martin

Lionel Bouton

> The nice thing about threads is that they act as natural containment
> boundaries for off-topicness. It's both cheap and easy to ignore
> things at the level of a thread, and the incremental offtopicity of a
> post in an already off-topic thread approaches zero.
>
> (Srsly, and without sarcasm, if you don't have a threaded
> mail/newsreader, you don't know what you're missing out on. It makes a
> *huge* efficiency difference.)

That, and having bayesian anti-SPAM makes it relatively easy to
automatically flag trolls and park them in the Junk folder (this is a
relatively efficient poor-man's killfile for people without procmail).

Damn, I actually posted in this thread, I'll have to take a shower now...

Lionel