Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/14/2007 2:48:00 AM

In message <3ea554b2f151f53779bd4fe4cde27752@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Your right. I don't see any good advice. Because people aren't giving me
>advice. They are telling me to code Hello World for years and years.

No, they aren't. They're telling you to start with simple stuff and
build to big stuff.

>Problem is, how does that help? It doesn't.

How would you know? You haven't tried it.

>It doesn't code in a weapon,
>it doesn't make a boat move, it doesn't do anything at all. It makes
>your computer re-print Hello World. I'v done the Hello World thing 60
>times. I counted. And guess what? Im nowhere closer to making a game.

Maybe instead of doing the exact same thing 60 times, you should be
making changes and trying to understand them.

>And as for the Stool building to House building, there's a great
>difference between building stools and building houses. I built several
>stools, chairs, tables, chests, and boxes. Just wood, nails, hammer, and
>finish. And for some things, hinges, locks, and cushions. But houses
>have electric things to install, tiling, carpet, cieling fans, etc to
>put in. The methods are completely different.

Yes, but if you haven't learned the basic components and skills, you
can't even BEGIN to do the rest of the house stuff; you'll get to the
point of needing two pieces of wood to stick together, and you'll have
no clue how to make it work or match your plan.

>And I can't say that any
>person on this thread was actually a "teacher" because nobody taught me
>anything. They told me to learn things. A teacher doesn't say Go buy
>this book and read it, then write 2+5
>100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
>times and you will learn how to multiply. A teacher would explain how
>you get the answer to 2+5.

Yup. But since you're not offering enough money to buy days of our time,
we're offering to coach you, rather than teaching you.

>Then the teacher would explain how you apply
>the same principles to multiplying, then you would learn algebra,
>physics, calculus, etc. And how do you know Rome wasn't built in a day?
>For all you know, it could have been built in 10 seconds flat. No one
>can prove anything. It's a fact.

Well, actually, we have excellent information on how Rome was built. Learn
about archeology. :)

Seriously, I've seen people who are off the top ends of any known test of
"intelligence" learn to program, and they had to do it the same way we're
suggesting. It's just part of how learning happens; until you understand
the little bits, you can't do a good job putting them together.

-s