Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/14/2007 2:04:00 AM

In message <ab9d087cee1a150dcf58887336908c7e@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>No. Not even by the time they were working there. Everyone of em
>certainly understood this shit much better than I do.

I certainly didn't. :)

>Or they would have given up too.

Maybe not.

>And what languages does Chris Pines book teach? Because
>I'v decided to screw Ruby, because it hasnt helped at all. And if
>everyone is so professional and talented, why can't they give me
>straight forward help? You guys are like Jedi or bad teachers. Either be
>really vague, or kick me in the ass and tell me to do something else.

Chris's book teaches Ruby, too. If you want to try a different language,
King's "C Programming: A Modern Approach" is excellent, although ironically,
it's now a bit out of date (a new revision should be along soonish).

The thing is, you want to make a big program, but you seem unwilling to learn
the skills that make for building a big program. Rome, as they say, wasn't
built in a day. I spent most of a decade on the ISO C standards committee,
and to this day, people with a number of calendar years of experience on me will
ask me questions about C. That doesn't mean I was born knowing C; it means
I spent months and months doing stupid little test programs -- not far from
"hello, world" -- and using them as a way to learn about how things worked.

-s