Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/14/2007 2:01:00 AM

In message <e5d45008b71c6e722eae52ecd804f7d9@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>How the hell is Hello World going to help me make a game?

How does learning to build a simple stool help someone build a house?

You learn *skills*. The skills allow you to understand how things work
better and give you a broader range of things you can combine to make the
thing you ultimately want.

>I'm not even making something say it. I am typing all sorts of texts,
>just to make the computer re-type Hello World. All these tutorials and
>your useless advice is getting me nowhere. Because I don't understand
>this stuff. I asked for help, not lectures about Learn To Program!

Well, consider for a moment the possibility that we think that lectures
about how to "learn to program" are, in fact, helpful to you.

I can just see you with Mapquest. "I'm sick of this crap about city streets.
I want to get from my house to Detroit, and I want to do it ALL on the freeway.
None of this "entrance ramp" crap!"

Can you drive? Did you start out on the freeway?

-s