Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/13/2007 4:06:00 AM

In message <aa1c3183dd71fbd1e8e8ba3bda400d51@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>Unfortunately, it is simply easier to ask you guys while I'm already
>asking.

And that's the thing; the best way to ask questions is to ask questions when
you get stuck, then go back to doing your own research and puzzling. You'll
learn faster that way than you would alternating between a couple of days of
research and then a frenzy of questions, most of which are trivial.

We make a better crutch than an escalator. :)

>But for now, I have assumed that Text Adventure and Text Based
>game are the same thing, or nearly the same thing.

I'd recommend reading more about them, then. Text adventures are a special
case.

-s

3 Answers

Joe Wiltrout

I'm just going to finish up reading Why's. I wish I had it in text
though. I be alot easier and wouldn't be lagged by my crappy comp. I
just wish it wasn't so distracting with the funny foxes though. It makes
my learning slower, but it makes it more enjoyable too. This guy was
smarter than Einstein. Make it fun to read For Dummies books. GENUIS!

John Joyce

On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Joe Wiltrout wrote:

> I'm just going to finish up reading Why's. I wish I had it in text
> though. I be alot easier and wouldn't be lagged by my crappy comp. I
> just wish it wasn't so distracting with the funny foxes though. It
> makes
> my learning slower, but it makes it more enjoyable too. This guy was
> smarter than Einstein. Make it fun to read For Dummies books. GENUIS!

If you want to know or try an excellent (but not easy) Text
Adventure, try the classic Zork, there are some free online versions
available. The original is still hosted online, accessible from the
command line. Originally it was only on a university's unix network,
back in the days of dumb terminals and no internet. It's old, but the
history of the game and its development is interesting and worth
reading if you want to create a game...
The first MUDs (multi-user dungeons) were pretty much inspired by
Zork and similar games (and dungeons and dragons of course). Ruby is
an excellent way to create just such a game for starters.
Later Text Adventures added some still pictures. The genre died out
long ago, with the advent of faster computers and better graphics
abilities.

Joe Wiltrout

John Joyce wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
>

> If you want to know or try an excellent (but not easy) Text
> Adventure, try the classic Zork, there are some free online versions
> available. The original is still hosted online, accessible from the
> command line. Originally it was only on a university's unix network,
> back in the days of dumb terminals and no internet. It's old, but the
> history of the game and its development is interesting and worth
> reading if you want to create a game...
> The first MUDs (multi-user dungeons) were pretty much inspired by
> Zork and similar games (and dungeons and dragons of course). Ruby is
> an excellent way to create just such a game for starters.
> Later Text Adventures added some still pictures. The genre died out
> long ago, with the advent of faster computers and better graphics
> abilities.

I found an archive of Text Adventures on Wikipedia. Some of them look
rather fun. I look forward to making a totally awesome one that will
respark the genre. Not likely though. Maybe if I make it like MMORPG
style, just with no moving graphics, it would get some kind of popular.