Re: I need serious help!

seebs

7/13/2007 3:27:00 AM

In message <a30627cafac42481df39278553c685a4@ruby-forum.com>, Joe Wiltrout writes:
>And would this 'Inform 6' be harder than Ruby?

Maybe.

>Because I don't even get Ruby very well.

Ruby is not necessarily easier, or necessarily harder, than other languages;
different people find different languages easier. I found C easier to learn
than Ruby.

>And what's this 'Text Adventure' type thing?

Like Zork. If you don't know what that is, find a search engine.

Actually, in general, you might want to work on your research skills; before
asking a question, make at least one attempt to find the answer yourself.
That skill will matter more than anything else; it's what makes the
difference between theings being easy or hard to learn.

>If you mean
>text-based game, then I'll check it out. And say I was going to make
>some sort of 2-d but still good graphic game, would it be possible in
>Ruby, or would I have to use C++ or Java or something else? And could
>you post a link to this Pines Learning to program? Because if it is as
>helpful as you imply it to be, I would very much like to see it.

Well, if you were to search for "learn to program ruby" on Google, you'd
find it. First hit, even.

That's what's killing you here; not how easy or hard Ruby is, but how
quickly you give up without even making a couple of tries to find
something. Be more willing to make a couple of tries. It's okay if
sometimes they don't work out. Take some chances! Five minutes of
browsing the internet is not too high a price to pay for a good shot
at answering a question for yourself, and even the things you find
that aren't the answer you're looking for might be USEFUL to you.

>And define Quirky. I need to know what you mean before I go and confuse
>myself on another coding language.

Quirky languages are those with characteristics that don't make much sense;
for instance, it might be hard to tell when, or whether, you need commas
to separate items in lists. Inform6 is fairly quirky. Ruby's relatively
predictable.

-s

1 Answer

Joe Wiltrout

unknown wrote:
> In message <a30627cafac42481df39278553c685a4@ruby-forum.com>, Joe
> Wiltrout writes:
>>And would this 'Inform 6' be harder than Ruby?
>
> Maybe.
>
>>Because I don't even get Ruby very well.
>
> Ruby is not necessarily easier, or necessarily harder, than other
> languages;
> different people find different languages easier. I found C easier to
> learn
> than Ruby.
>
>>And what's this 'Text Adventure' type thing?
>
> Like Zork. If you don't know what that is, find a search engine.
>
> Actually, in general, you might want to work on your research skills;
> before
> asking a question, make at least one attempt to find the answer
> yourself.
> That skill will matter more than anything else; it's what makes the
> difference between theings being easy or hard to learn.
>
>>If you mean
>>text-based game, then I'll check it out. And say I was going to make
>>some sort of 2-d but still good graphic game, would it be possible in
>>Ruby, or would I have to use C++ or Java or something else? And could
>>you post a link to this Pines Learning to program? Because if it is as
>>helpful as you imply it to be, I would very much like to see it.
>
> Well, if you were to search for "learn to program ruby" on Google, you'd
> find it. First hit, even.
>
> That's what's killing you here; not how easy or hard Ruby is, but how
> quickly you give up without even making a couple of tries to find
> something. Be more willing to make a couple of tries. It's okay if
> sometimes they don't work out. Take some chances! Five minutes of
> browsing the internet is not too high a price to pay for a good shot
> at answering a question for yourself, and even the things you find
> that aren't the answer you're looking for might be USEFUL to you.
>
>>And define Quirky. I need to know what you mean before I go and confuse
>>myself on another coding language.
>
> Quirky languages are those with characteristics that don't make much
> sense;
> for instance, it might be hard to tell when, or whether, you need commas
> to separate items in lists. Inform6 is fairly quirky. Ruby's
> relatively
> predictable.
>
> -s

I hate to break it to you, but asking people is, and always will be, my
last resort. I prefer the feeling of independance rather than feeling
guilty because I didnt have anything to offer my advisor in return for
his/her information. I have searched every engine I know for free online
info about Ruby Game Programming and every other related term I could
think of. Hours upon hours. I went like 20 pages into google for one
term, until it got so irrelavant it became pure gibberish. Five minutes?
try 5 days. And as for my problem being whether something is easier or
harder, I have never coded before, and I am always just the ideas guy
when my friend codes things into his game. I have some kick ass ideas,
and I want to implement them into my own awesome game. Then me and his
game could be like partner companies or w/e. Orc Studios (my friends
gaming company, so to speak. Not really a company.) and Iceblaze
Entertainment. If you think that's anything close to Blizzard
Entertainment, sue me.