Re: I need serious help!

Skt

7/13/2007 2:27:00 AM

Why's guide has an example of a text based game, i don't know if that'd be any help.

For me, alot of these guides i know i had issues with (especially why's guide) because in alot of parts i had no idea the direction he was going for. I'd definitley suggest googling and find which one fits.

Hth
skt

-----Original Message-----
From: "Joe Wiltrout" <wiltroutja@hotmail.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Sent: 7/12/2007 10:05 PM
Subject: I need serious help!

Hey yall experienced coders and programmer dudes. I wanna make an MMORPG
type game, but I have no programming experiance whatsoever. Someone told
me this was the best language to start learning with. So here I am,
confused about everything except blog making because of that "15 minute"
tutorial which turned out to take an hour+ for me. So I need someone to
tell me how to get started making even a basic game. Like 2d, horrible
graphics, the worst they can get. Like taking a game for 4 year olds,
then taking a step back. So simple, not even I want to play it. How
would one get started making any kind of game? And if anyone could
supply me with information for my sub-childrens game, that be nice too.

Joe Wiltrout

Skt wrote:
> Why's guide has an example of a text based game, i don't know if that'd
> be any help.
>
> For me, alot of these guides i know i had issues with (especially why's
> guide) because in alot of parts i had no idea the direction he was going
> for. I'd definitley suggest googling and find which one fits.
>
> Hth
> skt

An example of text based game? Cus I know what a text based game is,
and I have played many. Or do you mean how to code one? Because knowing
how to code one hits the nail right on the head. And, like I said, I
really can't afford to buy any materials. I just need something less
complicated than all these tutorials.

Chris Carter

On 7/12/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Skt wrote:
> > Why's guide has an example of a text based game, i don't know if that'd
> > be any help.
> >
> > For me, alot of these guides i know i had issues with (especially why's
> > guide) because in alot of parts i had no idea the direction he was going
> > for. I'd definitley suggest googling and find which one fits.
> >
> > Hth
> > skt
>
> An example of text based game? Cus I know what a text based game is,
> and I have played many. Or do you mean how to code one? Because knowing
> how to code one hits the nail right on the head. And, like I said, I
> really can't afford to buy any materials. I just need something less
> complicated than all these tutorials.

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/...

It has an example for how to code a text game. Be warned though parts
of it are really wacky. It's as much a novel as it is a programming
book. But it is very comprehensive, works well, has a soundtrack, and
is free.

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Joe Wiltrout

Chris Carter wrote:
> On 7/12/07, Joe Wiltrout <wiltroutja@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> An example of text based game? Cus I know what a text based game is,
>> and I have played many. Or do you mean how to code one? Because knowing
>> how to code one hits the nail right on the head. And, like I said, I
>> really can't afford to buy any materials. I just need something less
>> complicated than all these tutorials.
>>
>> --
>>

> http://poignantguide.net/ruby/...
>
> It has an example for how to code a text game. Be warned though parts
> of it are really wacky. It's as much a novel as it is a programming
> book. But it is very comprehensive, works well, has a soundtrack, and
> is free.

Wow... Even the front page scares me. And by comprehensive, you mean
easy for a teenager to understand? But I do like a good novel. And I do
wanna learn to program in Ruby, so to hell with saneness.