I need serious help!

Joe Wiltrout

7/13/2007 2:06:00 AM

Hey yall experienced coders and programmer dudes. I wanna make an MMORPG
type game, but I have no programming experiance whatsoever. Someone told
me this was the best language to start learning with. So here I am,
confused about everything except blog making because of that "15 minute"
tutorial which turned out to take an hour+ for me. So I need someone to
tell me how to get started making even a basic game. Like 2d, horrible
graphics, the worst they can get. Like taking a game for 4 year olds,
then taking a step back. So simple, not even I want to play it. How
would one get started making any kind of game? And if anyone could
supply me with information for my sub-childrens game, that be nice too.

Joe Wiltrout

And how to make the graphics. That would be nice too.

Joe Wiltrout

And , incase it might matter, its going to be like Arrow Keys to move,
Space Bar to make your pirate character slash. That simple. With sucky
2d graphics. Like the same graphics as Pong or Pac-Man or Galaga, only
with pirates, on a ship deck. Eventually I want to make a pirate based
MMORPG based on the book Stormchaser, Book Two in the Edge Chronicals,
by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. Well, not based, but with the flying
ships and stuff. And different races, and different kinds of boats, and
hundreds of weapons, and tons of skills, and multiple classes, and
professions. Kind of like a Pirate WoW. I shall call it,
World of The Sky in the Spanish Main! Or not. I could call it WotSitSM!
Or not. Either way, this post is about my 2d sub-childrens pirate game.
With sucky graphics, one weapon, one pirate, one ship deck to fight on,
basic controls, and lots of bad animation enemy pirates with one weapon,
one outfit, and one shipdeck to fight on. I hope one of you experts can
help me.

John Joyce

That's a tall order!!
You might want to start with Chris Pine's 'Learning to Program' then
move to Peter Cooper's 'Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional'.
Peter does a pretty cool intro with a text-adventure program, so you
can get your feet wet with the kinds of things that you'll face
programming games.

Joe Wiltrout

John Joyce wrote:
> That's a tall order!!
> You might want to start with Chris Pine's 'Learning to Program' then
> move to Peter Cooper's 'Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional'.
> Peter does a pretty cool intro with a text-adventure program, so you
> can get your feet wet with the kinds of things that you'll face
> programming games.

I sorta have no money to use on books and the like. I was hoping I could
avoid buying anything by consulting the greater population of Ruby
programmers. Maybe get someone to post a link to a good website that
dumbs the tutorials down enough for me to understand. And who knows?
Maybe I will get good enough that I will be able to go over to C++ and
not be this stupid. But I have heard that text-based games are easier to
make than games with moving graphics, so I might start off with a Sky
Pirate text-based game instead. It all depends whats easiest for a
beginner.

Joe Wiltrout

John Joyce wrote:
> That's a tall order!!
> You might want to start with Chris Pine's 'Learning to Program' then
> move to Peter Cooper's 'Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional'.
> Peter does a pretty cool intro with a text-adventure program, so you
> can get your feet wet with the kinds of things that you'll face
> programming games.

But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe when I get some cash, I shall buy
said books.

Joe Wiltrout

And if anyone has ever played Adventure Quest, can that kind of game be
made in Ruby? Or is that mainly a Flash Player type game?

Bill Kelly

> Hey yall experienced coders and programmer dudes. I wanna make an MMORPG
> type game, but I have no programming experiance whatsoever. Someone told
> me this was the best language to start learning with. So here I am,
> confused about everything except blog making because of that "15 minute"
> tutorial which turned out to take an hour+ for me. So I need someone to
> tell me how to get started making even a basic game. Like 2d, horrible
> graphics, the worst they can get. Like taking a game for 4 year olds,
> then taking a step back. So simple, not even I want to play it. How
> would one get started making any kind of game? And if anyone could
> supply me with information for my sub-childrens game, that be nice too.

One 2D game library with Ruby bindings is gosu:
http://code.google.c...

Here's a post from Florian Gross about a game written in Ruby / Gosu,
running on Win32 / OS X / Linux:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

Screenshot: http://flgr.0x42.net/gdc72h-05...

Also, here are some game-related ruby quizzes that might be apropos:

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q... Dungeon Generation

Two different solutions were submitted for doing 2D text based
dungeon generation.

http://www.rubyquiz.com/q... Lisp Game

Nineteen solutions were submitted for implementing a text adventure
game in ruby. (Porting a Lisp game to Ruby.)

You will be able to look at the ruby source code for all of the above.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Ari Brown

Your in luck! The book's online!

Just do a google search for 'Chris Pine +"learn to program"'
On Jul 12, 2007, at 10:26 PM, Joe Wiltrout wrote:

> John Joyce wrote:
>> That's a tall order!!
>> You might want to start with Chris Pine's 'Learning to Program' then
>> move to Peter Cooper's 'Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional'.
>> Peter does a pretty cool intro with a text-adventure program, so you
>> can get your feet wet with the kinds of things that you'll face
>> programming games.
>
> I sorta have no money to use on books and the like. I was hoping I
> could
> avoid buying anything by consulting the greater population of Ruby
> programmers. Maybe get someone to post a link to a good website that
> dumbs the tutorials down enough for me to understand. And who knows?
> Maybe I will get good enough that I will be able to go over to C++ and
> not be this stupid. But I have heard that text-based games are
> easier to
> make than games with moving graphics, so I might start off with a Sky
> Pirate text-based game instead. It all depends whats easiest for a
> beginner.

-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit

James Gray

On Jul 13, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Chris Thiel wrote:

> The idea of a MUD coded in Ruby intrigues
> me though...I might look into that...

Some already have:

http://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=MUD&Sea...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thre...
cb59d2bb0a03efe6/ea70aa8e7c2f323a?
lnk=gst&q=TeensyMud&rnum=1#ea70aa8e7c2f323a

I really miss those TeensyMud announcements. ;)

James Edward Gray II

Lloyd Linklater

While so many people graciously responded with helpful tips, my first
thought is that you want to climb everest before you learn to walk. You
said that you have more or less no programming experience. You just
can't. You need to learn what kinds of things are going on inside a
computer. It is not a point and click to super gaming stardom.

Once you can write programs that do what you want, then you need to
decide just what kind of game you want? Sci-fi? Fantasy? Big graphics
or text based? etc, etc. These are not small decisions and
professional game designers spend years developing and refining their
ideas.

If you do all this and are still determined, try some form of gaming
that has a lot of the work done for you already. One that comes to mind
is the Quake engine. Several creditable games were written using it.
It is, in short, something that has most of the tough stuff figured out
already. There are other gaming engines, so choose wisely, young
padawan.

When you have chosen a gaming engine, then write in the language that
works best with. That will probably not be Ruby, I am sorry to say.
Ruby does not come to mind first for graphics intensive applications.

If all that does not deter you then I hope that it will point you in the
right direction.