If I Hear "Agile" One More Time.

Christopher Winslett

7/12/2007 5:16:00 PM

If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:

The best type of development is agile: Agile Web Development. . .

The best type of web server is agile: "While Apache and IIS dominate the
market for Web servers, smaller and more agile competitors are arising
in the areas of performance and security"
(http://www.ibm.com/develope...).

The best type of (organizational) management is agile: "So - what does
this have to do with Agile? There is a definite focus on the /Customer/
and /Business Value/ - at least in the rhetoric."
(http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/IT_Bu...) Side note: if you
capitalize agile it changes from a adjective to a noun.

I'm still waiting on "Developing Agile Customers to Cope with the POS
Products You Put Out with PHP."

Agile has almost become synonymous with "we can't do everything, but we
can't to that everything very fast." Agile is a non-measurable word
that has a good marketing ring to it; soon kids on the playground will
say "My dad is more agile than your dad."

9 Answers

Tim Pease

On 7/12/07, Christopher Winslett <chris@winsletts.com> wrote:
> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
> We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:
>
> The best type of development is agile: Agile Web Development. . .
>
> The best type of web server is agile: "While Apache and IIS dominate the
> market for Web servers, smaller and more agile competitors are arising
> in the areas of performance and security"
> (http://www.ibm.com/develope...).
>
> The best type of (organizational) management is agile: "So - what does
> this have to do with Agile? There is a definite focus on the /Customer/
> and /Business Value/ - at least in the rhetoric."
> (http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/IT_Bu...) Side note: if you
> capitalize agile it changes from a adjective to a noun.
>
> I'm still waiting on "Developing Agile Customers to Cope with the POS
> Products You Put Out with PHP."
>
> Agile has almost become synonymous with "we can't do everything, but we
> can't to that everything very fast." Agile is a non-measurable word
> that has a good marketing ring to it; soon kids on the playground will
> say "My dad is more agile than your dad."

We have a software tool at work called AGILE
[http://www.agile.com/plm...]. It is anything but.

So, how are your bowels?

TwP

Enrique Comba Riepenhausen

> Agile has almost become synonymous with "we can't do everything,
> but we can't to that everything very fast." Agile is a non-
> measurable word that has a good marketing ring to it; soon kids on
> the playground will say "My dad is more agile than your dad."

Is he? ;)

James Britt

Christopher Winslett wrote:
> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
> We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:

Putting aside whether your points have merit, this is not really a Ruby
matter.

James

ara.t.howard

On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Christopher Winslett wrote:

> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my
> bowels. We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:

(( 2 ** 31 - 1 )).times{ p :agile }

(ducking..)

-a
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Bil Kleb

ara.t.howard wrote:

> (( 2 ** 31 - 1 )).times{ p :agile }

Or the *nix way:

$ yes agile!

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Gregory Brown

On 7/12/07, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christopher Winslett wrote:
> > If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
> > We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:
> >

> Putting aside whether your points have merit, this is not really a Ruby
> matter.

Sadly, it seems we're running low on posts about that. I'm thinking
we just change the name of this list to 'talk'. Or maybe more
appropriate 'banter'

(only half kidding)

Bill Kelly

> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.

Oh, sir. It's only wafer thin.

Robert Dober

On 7/12/07, ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Christopher Winslett wrote:
>
> > If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my
> > bowels. We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:
>
> (( 2 ** 31 - 1 )).times{ p :agile }

Who is posting in Ara's name here? Or is it really you Ara and you do
not dare using 42 anymore ;)?
R.
-- Kent Beck

Alan Garrison

Tim Pease wrote:

> So, how are your bowels?

There's a question I thought I'd never see on ruby-talk.