Re: [ANN] Eventmachine 0.8.0 released with epoll, breaks Ruby file-descriptor limit

Florian Frank

7/12/2007 9:59:00 AM

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> The 0.8.0 release adds automatic support for epoll, on Linux 2.6 kernels.
> This enables Eventmachine programs to break through Ruby's limit of 1024
> file and socket descriptors per process. In performance tests designed to
> simulate busy web servers, Eventmachine with epoll exhibits the behavior
> you
> would expect: with very large numbers (>20,000) of quiet connections and a
> few active ones, there is no noticeable degradation of responsiveness or
> total throughput, compared to cases with only a few connections.

This is great news! I just gave the epoll feature a try and it seemed to work
without problems. I remember that several people tried to use epoll for their
extensions before, but all of them gave eventually up, because using anything
else than select clashed with Ruby internals' use of select for almost anything.
What did you do differently? Didn't you have any problems?

--
Florian Frank