Re: Reliable Messaging With Ruby and DRb

Brian Candler

7/11/2007 9:25:00 PM

> My local IP address is 10.8.8.41. I could not figure out why when I
> use 127.0.0.1 the code works but fails when I use my IP address.

At a guess (since you don't show the server code), I imagine the server is
bound to IP address 127.0.0.1 - the loopback interface - and therefore
doesn't accept connections on any other interface.

This is easy to verify:

telnet 127.0.0.1 6438
telnet 10.8.8.41 6438

Do you get a successful connection in the first case, but "connection
refused" in the second case?

If so, all you need to do is configure your server to bind to address
0.0.0.0. This means "all interfaces on the system"

HTH,

Brian.