Re: Rake?????

John Joyce

7/10/2007 1:27:00 PM

On Jul 10, 2007, at 3:12 AM, Ujjwal Trivedi wrote:

> Can a rake command create a Database (MySQL) from specifications in a
> .yml file????
>

> I am newbie and I don't understand how rake works ?? I am using
> windows...
>

> Plz Help!!!
>

> Regards,
>
> Ujjwal

In short: Yes.
ActiveRecord, the gem which is also a component of Ruby on Rails does
this with it's migrations feature.
It could be a lot to learn to use it separately from Rails, but it is
certainly possible and people do it.
It is also fairly database agnostic, but use with MySQL is pretty
well google-able...

2 Answers

Bas van Gils

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:26:55PM +0900, John Joyce wrote:
> ActiveRecord, the gem which is also a component of Ruby on Rails does
> this with it's migrations feature.
> It could be a lot to learn to use it separately from Rails, but it is
> certainly possible and people do it.

Hi,

perhaps

http://www.oreillynet.com/...

helps...

Cheers

Bas

--
Bas van Gils <bas@van-gils.org>, http://www.va...
[[[ Thank you for not distributing my E-mail address ]]]

Quod est inferius est sicut quod est superius, et quod est superius est sicut
quod est inferius, ad perpetranda miracula rei unius.

hemant

On 7/15/07, Bas van Gils <bas@van-gils.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:26:55PM +0900, John Joyce wrote:
> > ActiveRecord, the gem which is also a component of Ruby on Rails does
> > this with it's migrations feature.
> > It could be a lot to learn to use it separately from Rails, but it is
> > certainly possible and people do it.
>
> Hi,
>
> perhaps
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/...
>
> helps...

I hope you might have heard about 'make', which is a unix utility for
running tasks. Rake is its hip cousin in the sense, it can do
practically anything that "make" can do(and hence yes you can create
databases and what not) and much more.

There are couple of excellent docs available about rake:

http://docs.rubyrake.org/read...

http://www.railsenvy.com/2007/6/11/ruby-on-rails-rak...

And if you feel fine then:
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles...