Re: Yield should be renamed call_block

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Yield should be renamed call_block"
on Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:59:35 +0900, Bharat Ruparel <bruparel@mercury.com> writes:

|1. I have to plead ignorance. I do not know the language history very
|well. What is CLU?

CLU is a programming language designed in MIT back in 70s. CLU has a
functionality called an iterator which fundamentally equals to a
method call with a block in Ruby, except that a iterator must be
called within a for statement. For more information, Google is your
friend.

|2. I think that moving "yeild" to a method call is a great idea. That
|way it can be freely aliased as and when needed. Why are you saying
|that it will be done that far out (3.0?). Are you concerned about
|"breaking" existing code? Educate me.

I think incompatibility can be introduced time to time in the
evolution of languages. I try not to make them too often though.

matz.

1 Answer

Rob Biedenharn

On Jul 9, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Yield should be renamed call_block"
> on Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:59:35 +0900, Bharat Ruparel
> <bruparel@mercury.com> writes:
>
> |1. I have to plead ignorance. I do not know the language history
> very
> |well. What is CLU?
>
> CLU is a programming language designed in MIT back in 70s. CLU has a
> functionality called an iterator which fundamentally equals to a
> method call with a block in Ruby, except that a iterator must be
> called within a for statement. For more information, Google is your
> friend.

> matz.

Since I learned CLU when I was at MIT, I'll help you out a bit here.

http://www.lcs.mit.edu/publications/pubs/pdf/MIT-LCS-...

There is a lot of syntactic sugar in CLU also, although it isn't quite
as general in some places as in Ruby. CLU had three types of
abstraction: procedural, data, and iteration which were wrapped up in
a "cluster" (from which the language name comes).

Unfortunately, the courses that used to use CLU, started using
Java some years ago. ;-(

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com