support for ruby 1.9

Daniel DeLorme

7/2/2007 4:56:00 AM

Is there some kind of package out there that would allow me to develop
in ruby 1.8 while avoiding incompatibility with 1.9? Something that for
example would:
define String#lines
warn me when I use String#to_a
define Kernel#funcall
warn me when I use Kernel#send on a private method
...etc

That would be quite useful.

Daniel

3 Answers

Gregory Brown

On 7/2/07, Daniel DeLorme <dan-ml@dan42.com> wrote:
> Is there some kind of package out there that would allow me to develop
> in ruby 1.8 while avoiding incompatibility with 1.9? Something that for
> example would:
> define String#lines
> warn me when I use String#to_a
> define Kernel#funcall
> warn me when I use Kernel#send on a private method
> ...etc
>
> That would be quite useful.

Austin Ziegler and I were talking a while ago about how it'd be cool
to have an option like:

ruby --warn1.9

As far as I know, such initiatives haven't taken place yet, but they'd
be quite welcome. I want to start working on 1.9 compatibility for
some of my projects in the next couple months, to be an 'early
adopter'.

SonOfLilit

1.9 doesn't sound API-stable enough to start thinking about it yet, IMHO.

Aur Saraf

Gregory Brown

On 7/2/07, SonOfLilit <sonoflilit@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.9 doesn't sound API-stable enough to start thinking about it yet, IMHO.

It is scheduled to be released in December. It will need to slow down
soon enough.