Lapack question - difficulties installing Linalg

Axel Etzold

6/30/2007 1:55:00 PM

Dear all,

I am having trouble installing the Linalg package.
I am working on OpenSuse 10.2, and I installed the
Lapack from an rpm, successfully.
Now, I get the following:

dhcppc1:/usr/local/linalg-0.3.2-i686-linux-ruby18 # ruby install.rb config
config ext/lapack
checking for f2c.h... yes
checking for main() in -lf2c... no
A full LAPACK installation was not found.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
--with-f2clib
--without-f2clib
install.rb:127:in `config': configuration failed (RuntimeError)
from install.rb:78:in `each'
from install.rb:77:in `chdir'
from install.rb:77:in `each'
from install.rb:74:in `each'
from install.rb:124:in `config'
from install.rb:215:in `send'
from install.rb:215

I tried "ruby install.rb config --without-f2clib", but that doesn't work
either. What am I missing ?

Best regards,

Axel
Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/g...

3 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting Axel Etzold <AEtzold@gmx.de>:

> Dear all,
>
> I am having trouble installing the Linalg package.
> I am working on OpenSuse 10.2, and I installed the
> Lapack from an rpm, successfully.
> Now, I get the following:
>
> dhcppc1:/usr/local/linalg-0.3.2-i686-linux-ruby18 # ruby install.rb config
> config ext/lapack
> checking for f2c.h... yes
> checking for main() in -lf2c... no
> A full LAPACK installation was not found.
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details. You may need configuration options.
>
> Provided configuration options:
> --with-opt-dir
> --without-opt-dir
> --with-opt-include
> --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
> --with-opt-lib
> --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
> --with-make-prog
> --without-make-prog
> --srcdir=.
> --curdir
> --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
> --with-f2clib
> --without-f2clib
> install.rb:127:in `config': configuration failed (RuntimeError)
> from install.rb:78:in `each'
> from install.rb:77:in `chdir'
> from install.rb:77:in `each'
> from install.rb:74:in `each'
> from install.rb:124:in `config'
> from install.rb:215:in `send'
> from install.rb:215
>
> I tried "ruby install.rb config --without-f2clib", but that doesn't work
> either. What am I missing ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Axel
> --
> GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS.
> Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/g...

I get the same thing on my Gentoo system. It looks like it needs two packages,
"f2c" and "libf2c" in addition to LAPACK. But installing them did not fix this.
I think it's a bug in linalg -- the date I see on RubyForge is 2004-06-25. "f2c"
is a Fortran-to-C translator that's positively prehistoric. It dates back to
when there wasn't a real Gnu Fortran compiler, so they translated Fortran to C
and used the C compiler. This may have worked three years ago but it probably
needs to get updated. If all you need is linear algebra/LAPACK, I think the
Ruby bindings to the Gnu Scientific Library ("gsl") have that.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting znmeb@cesmail.net:

> Quoting Axel Etzold <AEtzold@gmx.de>:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am having trouble installing the Linalg package.
> > I am working on OpenSuse 10.2, and I installed the
> > Lapack from an rpm, successfully.
> > Now, I get the following:
> >
> > dhcppc1:/usr/local/linalg-0.3.2-i686-linux-ruby18 # ruby install.rb config
> > config ext/lapack
> > checking for f2c.h... yes
> > checking for main() in -lf2c... no
> > A full LAPACK installation was not found.
> > *** extconf.rb failed ***
> > Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> > necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
> > details. You may need configuration options.
> >
> > Provided configuration options:
> > --with-opt-dir
> > --without-opt-dir
> > --with-opt-include
> > --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
> > --with-opt-lib
> > --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
> > --with-make-prog
> > --without-make-prog
> > --srcdir=.
> > --curdir
> > --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
> > --with-f2clib
> > --without-f2clib
> > install.rb:127:in `config': configuration failed (RuntimeError)
> > from install.rb:78:in `each'
> > from install.rb:77:in `chdir'
> > from install.rb:77:in `each'
> > from install.rb:74:in `each'
> > from install.rb:124:in `config'
> > from install.rb:215:in `send'
> > from install.rb:215
> >
> > I tried "ruby install.rb config --without-f2clib", but that doesn't work
> > either. What am I missing ?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Axel
> > --
> > GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS.
> > Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/g...
> >

> I get the same thing on my Gentoo system. It looks like it needs two
> packages,
> "f2c" and "libf2c" in addition to LAPACK. But installing them did not fix
> this.
> I think it's a bug in linalg -- the date I see on RubyForge is 2004-06-25.
> "f2c"
> is a Fortran-to-C translator that's positively prehistoric. It dates back to
> when there wasn't a real Gnu Fortran compiler, so they translated Fortran to
> and used the C compiler. This may have worked three years ago but it probably
> needs to get updated. If all you need is linear algebra/LAPACK, I think the
> Ruby bindings to the Gnu Scientific Library ("gsl") have that.

I just installed Ruby-Gsl (https://rubyforge.org/projec...) successfully,
so you might want to see if it does what you want and installs on your system.

Axel Etzold

> I just installed Ruby-Gsl (https://rubyforge.org/projec...)
> successfully,
> so you might want to see if it does what you want and installs on your
> system.

Actually, I was trying to get some speedup
for the clusterer gem to work ... the author of that
gem tells users to install Linalg.

So unfortunately rb-gsl (which I have also installed)
isn't helping here.

Thank you for your reply,