Installing mySql GEM on Ubuntu?

Jose Luis Cortes Escolano

6/29/2007 5:54:00 PM

I am running Linx Mint, a version of Ubuntu, and I installed Ruby
and Rails. However, when I try to install the mySql package via. gem, "gem
install mysql" I get an error message (See below) with no idea how to fix
the error. I looked on the net (Google), but all suggestions do not work
with this Linux.

Also, as far as I know, I have all of the correct mySql drivers/headers,
etc.

=================== error message ==================================

Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
1. mysql 2.7.3 (mswin32)
2. mysql 2.7.1 (mswin32)
3. mysql 2.7 (ruby)
4. mysql 2.6 (ruby)
5. mysql 2.5.1 (ruby)
6. Cancel installation
> 3
extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
from extconf.rb:1

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.
1 Answer

Jano Svitok

On 6/29/07, David <me@me.com> wrote:
> I am running Linx Mint, a version of Ubuntu, and I installed Ruby
> and Rails. However, when I try to install the mySql package via. gem, "gem
> install mysql" I get an error message (See below) with no idea how to fix
> the error. I looked on the net (Google), but all suggestions do not work
> with this Linux.
>
> Also, as far as I know, I have all of the correct mySql drivers/headers,
> etc.
>
> =================== error message ==================================
>
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
> 1. mysql 2.7.3 (mswin32)
> 2. mysql 2.7.1 (mswin32)
> 3. mysql 2.7 (ruby)
> 4. mysql 2.6 (ruby)
> 5. mysql 2.5.1 (ruby)
> 6. Cancel installation
> > 3
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
> from extconf.rb:1
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/hoanga/2006/10/27/fixing-mkmf-load-error-ruby-...

apt-get install ruby-dev

If that doesn't help, tell us how did you install ruby (from package
or from source), and whether you have installed build-essential
package (i.e. can you compile anything?)