Re: [QUIZ] LSRC Name Picker (#129

James Gray

6/24/2007 4:30:00 AM

Sorry the quiz was late this week.

James Edward Gray II

12 Answers

David and Sharon Phillips

James,

The Lone Star Ruby Conf looks interesting, particularly yours and
Evan Shorts' sessions. Will these be available in some form after the
conference? I'd love to be there, but I'm half a world away.

Cheers,
Dave

On 24/06/2007, at 2:29 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Sorry the quiz was late this week.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Robert Dober

On 6/24/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> Sorry the quiz was late this week.
>
> James Edward Gray II

And sorry for violating the Spoiler Period, here comes my solution:

puts "Robert Dober"

Cheers
Robert

--
You see things; and you say Why?
-- George Bernard Shaw

John Joyce

On Jun 24, 2007, at 2:48 AM, Robert Dober wrote:

> On 6/24/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
>> Sorry the quiz was late this week.
>>
>> James Edward Gray II
>>

> And sorry for violating the Spoiler Period, here comes my solution:
>
> puts "Robert Dober"
>
> Cheers
> Robert

My suggestion to everyone: the Takahashi Method...

James Gray

On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:29 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Sorry the quiz was late this week.

Those of you following along closely have probably noticed that Ruby
Quiz launches have been pretty problematic these last couple of
weeks. The reason is that a bug in Ruby 1.8.6-p36 had crippled the
Ruby Quiz software and launches were pretty much happening by hand.
That wasn't working out well.

I've upgraded to the head of the Ruby 1.8 branch this morning and the
problem seems to be resolved. So hopefully, things will improve in
the coming weeks.

It's my fault this week's quiz was two days late, so it will run for
an extra week to give people the time they need.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Jun 24, 2007, at 12:08 AM, Sharon Phillips wrote:

> The Lone Star Ruby Conf looks interesting, particularly yours and
> Evan Shorts' sessions.

Thanks. That's very kind of you to say.

> Will these be available in some form after the conference? I'd love
> to be there, but I'm half a world away.

My hope is the the conference organizers will try to publish all of
the talks. I think this is a good habit.

I will put my slides online at the very least though.

James Edward Gray II

Robert Dober

On 6/24/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:29 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

<snip>
> Those of you following along closely have probably noticed that Ruby
> Quiz launches have been pretty problematic these last couple of
> weeks. The reason is that a bug in Ruby 1.8.6-p36 had crippled the
> Ruby Quiz software and launches were pretty much happening by hand.

Forgive me to be astonished and overly curios, was there any
difficulty to make a fullback to a former version?

<snip>
Cheers Robert

--
You see things; and you say Why?
-- George Bernard Shaw

Morton Goldberg

On Jun 24, 2007, at 12:16 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> It's my fault this week's quiz was two days late, so it will run
> for an extra week to give people the time they need.
>
> Sorry for the inconveniences.

It's not an inconvenience. I'm glad. I was going to pass on this one
because there was no chance I'd get something done by Wednesday. But
I think I can have something to submit by Wednesday after next.

Regards, Morton

James Gray

On Jun 24, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Robert Dober wrote:

> On 6/24/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:29 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Those of you following along closely have probably noticed that Ruby
>> Quiz launches have been pretty problematic these last couple of
>> weeks. The reason is that a bug in Ruby 1.8.6-p36 had crippled the
>> Ruby Quiz software and launches were pretty much happening by hand.
>
> Forgive me to be astonished and overly curios, was there any
> difficulty to make a fullback to a former version?

Well, I upgraded from Ruby 1.8.5 because of a bug I ran into there.
It's true that I could have gone back to Ruby 1.8.4, which is the
best release in recent years in my opinion, but that felt a little
behind the times.

James Edward Gray II

Chris Carter

On 6/24/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Robert Dober wrote:
>
> > On 6/24/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> >> On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:29 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >> Those of you following along closely have probably noticed that Ruby
> >> Quiz launches have been pretty problematic these last couple of
> >> weeks. The reason is that a bug in Ruby 1.8.6-p36 had crippled the
> >> Ruby Quiz software and launches were pretty much happening by hand.
> >
> > Forgive me to be astonished and overly curios, was there any
> > difficulty to make a fullback to a former version?
>
> Well, I upgraded from Ruby 1.8.5 because of a bug I ran into there.
> It's true that I could have gone back to Ruby 1.8.4, which is the
> best release in recent years in my opinion, but that felt a little
> behind the times.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Maybe the next RubyQuiz is write the software to run RubyQuiz! :)

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Gregory Seidman

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 01:16:38AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:29 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> >Sorry the quiz was late this week.
[...]
> It's my fault this week's quiz was two days late, so it will run for
> an extra week to give people the time they need.
>
> Sorry for the inconveniences.

So, er, when does the spoiler moratorium period end this time? Next Sunday?

> James Edward Gray II
--Greg