Default text entered in a puts dialog

12 34

6/20/2007 5:52:00 PM

I want to put a default answer in the text entry box that appears when
you puts some text.

photoGMT = -4
puts "What time zone are the photos in?"
answer = gets.chomp.to_i

I'd like photoGMT to appear as a default answer. I know this wouldn't be
very convenient in Terminal, but works well with TextMate.

For ASers this is equivalent to

set photoGMT to -4
display dialog "What time zone are the photos in?" default answer
photoGMT

Jano Svitok

On 6/20/07, 12 34 <rubyforum@web.knobby.ws> wrote:
> I want to put a default answer in the text entry box that appears when
> you puts some text.
>
> photoGMT = -4
> puts "What time zone are the photos in?"
> answer = gets.chomp.to_i
>
> I'd like photoGMT to appear as a default answer. I know this wouldn't be
> very convenient in Terminal, but works well with TextMate.
>
> For ASers this is equivalent to
>
> set photoGMT to -4
> display dialog "What time zone are the photos in?" default answer
> photoGMT

This is the best I can imagine: you cannot fill the input buffer
easily, so I propose to use the default value if the reply is empty.

photoGMT = -4
puts "What time zone are the photos in? [#{photoGMT}]"
ans = gets.strip
answer = ans.empty? ? photoGMT : ans.to_i

Jano

12 34

Jano Svitok wrote:
> On 6/20/07, 12 34 <rubyforum@web.knobby.ws> wrote:
>> For ASers this is equivalent to
>>
>> set photoGMT to -4
>> display dialog "What time zone are the photos in?" default answer
>> photoGMT
>
> This is the best I can imagine: you cannot fill the input buffer
> easily, so I propose to use the default value if the reply is empty.
>
> photoGMT = -4
> puts "What time zone are the photos in? [#{photoGMT}]"
> ans = gets.strip
> answer = ans.empty? ? photoGMT : ans.to_i
>

> Jano

TextMate errors on strip. I change to chomp and TextMate errors on empty
field. Works OK if the field is filled in.

Thanks for trying.

Morton Goldberg

On Jun 20, 2007, at 2:32 PM, 12 34 wrote:

> Jano Svitok wrote:
>> On 6/20/07, 12 34 <rubyforum@web.knobby.ws> wrote:
>>> For ASers this is equivalent to
>>>
>>> set photoGMT to -4
>>> display dialog "What time zone are the photos in?" default answer
>>> photoGMT
>>
>> This is the best I can imagine: you cannot fill the input buffer
>> easily, so I propose to use the default value if the reply is empty.
>>
>> photoGMT = -4
>> puts "What time zone are the photos in? [#{photoGMT}]"
>> ans = gets.strip
>> answer = ans.empty? ? photoGMT : ans.to_i
>>

>> Jano
>
> TextMate errors on strip. I change to chomp and TextMate errors on
> empty
> field. Works OK if the field is filled in.

I ran the above code in TextMate with Run (cmd-R) and it worked fine.
It only failed when I tried to execute it with Execute and Update ‘#
=>’ Markers (ctl-shift-cmd-E). Did you execute with Run or with
Execute ...?

Regards, Morton

12 34

Morton Goldberg wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2007, at 2:32 PM, 12 34 wrote:
>

>> field. Works OK if the field is filled in.
> I ran the above code in TextMate with Run (cmd-R) and it worked fine.
> It only failed when I tried to execute it with Execute and Update �#
> =>� Markers (ctl-shift-cmd-E). Did you execute with Run or with
> Execute ...?
>
> Regards, Morton

An update fixed the problem.