From: Your Name <your@mail.address>
To: Destination Address <someone@example.com>
Subject: test message
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:26:43 +0900

This is a test message.
END_OF_MESSAGE

require 'net/smtp'
Net::SMTP.start('your.smtp.server', 25) do |smtp|
smtp.send_message msgstr,
'your@mail.address',
'his_addess@example.com'
end

Errors:

testmail.rb:16: can't find string "END_OF_MESSAGE" anywhere before EOF
testmail.rb:1: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting tSTRING_CONTENT
or tSTRI
NG_DBEG or tSTRING_DVAR or tSTRING_END

Regards:
Dhiraj

Daniel Lucraft

Dhiraj Girdhar wrote:

> msgstr = <<END_OF_MESSAGE
> From: Your Name <your@mail.address>
>
> This is a test message.
> END_OF_MESSAGE
>
> testmail.rb:16: can't find string "END_OF_MESSAGE" anywhere before EOF
> testmail.rb:1: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting tSTRING_CONTENT
> or tSTRI
> NG_DBEG or tSTRING_DVAR or tSTRING_END

Remove the spaces from in front of the second 'END_OF_MESSAGE'. The end
of a heredoc string has to be right at the start of the line.

Alternatively at the start of the heredoc do:
msgstr = <<-END_OF_MESSAGE
which allows the end of the heredoc to be indented.

best,
Dan

Dhiraj Girdhar

Daniel Lucraft wrote:
> Dhiraj Girdhar wrote:
>>
>> msgstr = <<END_OF_MESSAGE
>> From: Your Name <your@mail.address>
>>
>> This is a test message.
>> END_OF_MESSAGE
>>
>> testmail.rb:16: can't find string "END_OF_MESSAGE" anywhere before EOF
>> testmail.rb:1: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting tSTRING_CONTENT
>> or tSTRI
>> NG_DBEG or tSTRING_DVAR or tSTRING_END
>>

> Remove the spaces from in front of the second 'END_OF_MESSAGE'. The end
> of a heredoc string has to be right at the start of the line.
>
> Alternatively at the start of the heredoc do:
> msgstr = <<-END_OF_MESSAGE
> which allows the end of the heredoc to be indented.
>
> best,
> Dan

Thanks Dan, it is working.

Regards: