Re: Ruby Beginner Books

Chad Perrin

6/12/2007 11:07:00 PM

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:00:19AM +0900, Peter Cooper wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Salai Khine <sayakyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Dear all,
> >
> >I want to learn Ruby Programming language. I found many book for Ruby. But
> >dont know which book is the right one for me (Beginner Level). I want to
> >learn OOP Concepts with RUBY.
>

> I wouldn't be doing my job right if I weren't to recommend, simply..
>
> Beginning Ruby by, er, me.
> http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ruby-Professional-Peter-Cooper/dp/1...
>
> Some of the other recommendations are very good, but only Chris Pine's
> "Learn to Program" book is the other one suitable for total newcomers to
> OOP. The other books assume prior OOP knowledge to a certain extent (which
> is why Beginning Ruby was written in the first place). "Learn to Program" is
> particularly useful if you are very new to programming overall (not just
> OOP). "Beginning Ruby" is more useful if you have a rough idea of what's
> involved (such as if you've done a little BASIC, HTML, or any other form of
> structural data processing) and just want to learn Ruby. The Pickaxe would
> then be worth moving onto as a reference and The Ruby Way as an exploration
> into more advanced concepts once you're up to speed.

"Everyday Scripting with Ruby" doesn't seem to assume any previous
experience with (or even knowledge of) OOP. Maybe I should look through
it again to see if I missed something. I rather suspect that you just
haven't given that one a look (it's still pretty new on the market).
What it does assume, though, is a certain amount of familiarity with
simple programming, however -- at minimum, having learned some basic
concepts of programming from BASIC or Logo in your youth, or perhaps from
browsing the programming subreddit a lot. Even DOS batch scripting and
shell usage on Unix might qualify you as sufficiently knowledgeable to be
able to tackle Everyday Scripting with Ruby, if you're a quick study.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your

3 Answers

John Joyce

Ruby is definitely the best way to do OOP conceptually, because
everything (almost) is already an object.
but, you can still just hammer out short functional or procedural
code as you please.

In this order:

Learn to Program, the Chris Pine book, if you are an absolute
beginner with no knowledge of programming.
you won't get deep into anything with it though.

Beginning Ruby, the Peter Cooper book, this is definitely the next
step. Some concepts will be completely new for you, that's ok, they
don't go too deep, just getting you used to lots of different
available things to do with Ruby.

Everyday Scripting with Ruby, this one should probably come next.
Maybe even before doing some of the last chapters of Peter's book.
The exercises here are really designed to take you to the next level
and make you understand things without hurting you. There is also a
wonderful glossary in the back. Well, heck, it's a Pragmatic
Programmers production!

After these, you should be ready to tackle a lot more stuff.

All the while, you should have the Pickaxe handy as a reference and
casual toilet browsing. It really does contain the nitty gritty on a
lot of stuff you will eventually ask about. It's not a great tutorial
though.

In addition, you should consider the Ruby Cookbook, the Ruby Way, and
any of the Rails books out there, you can learn a lot of cool tricks
from the Rails stuff that carries over back to other Ruby.

If you get into Rails, you will also need, but should probably have
anyway, an SQL or MySQL book. Not a big one, necessarily. The little
purple phrasebook will do fine, and David Black's, Ruby for Rails
book teaches you almost all the MySQL you will need. After that you
can pick up more SQL if you feel you need it.

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:16:49AM +0900, Peter Cooper wrote:
> On 6/13/07, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Everyday Scripting with Ruby" doesn't seem to assume any previous
> >experience with (or even knowledge of) OOP. Maybe I should look through
> >it again to see if I missed something. I rather suspect that you just
> >haven't given that one a look (it's still pretty new on the market).
>

> No, I have not, although I've read a few reviews and got the impression it's
> more of a pragmatic "how to do stuff" book rather than one that specifically
> dives into the whys and wherefores of things like OOP, which the OP seemed
> to be looking for. That said, this is a reasonably uninformed opinion as I
> have not read the book itself. The book certainly sounds commendable from a
> "getting things done" point of view, as the title suggests. I was just
> picking up on the OP's stress on wanting to learn "OOP concepts" explicitly.

Until someone writes a book specifically about OOP that doesn't assume
previous knowledge of the language, I think something like EDSR's
approach may be the best for early introduction of OOP for someone that
doesn't know the language and doesn't know programming very well. Chris
Pine's book would be more suitable for someone that doesn't know
programming *at all*.

Just my two cents.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 06:23:14AM +0900, Salai Khine wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thankyou very much for all this information. I think i will start again with
> "Learn to programm".
> I have been programming in PHP language... but i am still Beginner level. :)
> :) :(

It sounds like Chris Pine's book will be an excellent fit, then.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your hammer, everything starts