Newbie: help on site design?

Fjordur

I'm learning RoR, been throught various tutorials on scaffolding, done
the O'Reilly "Ruby on Rails" book by Tate and Hibbs.

I'm planning to build a full web application with logins and sessions.
Can you point me to a tutorial to help me design the architecture:
- components (how to login, manage users data...)
- best practice to manage sessions , global design.

Thanks,
--
Fjordur
2 Answers

Chris Lowis

Fjordur wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm learning RoR, been throught various tutorials on scaffolding, done
> the O'Reilly "Ruby on Rails" book by Tate and Hibbs.
>
> I'm planning to build a full web application with logins and sessions.
> Can you point me to a tutorial to help me design the architecture:
> - components (how to login, manage users data...)
> - best practice to manage sessions , global design.
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

Ruby on Rails questions are often better received in the Ruby on Rails
forum ( http://www.ruby-forum.c... ).

The best book I've seen for what you want to do is Agile Web Development
with Ruby on Rails (
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/... ),
supplemented with a good book about Ruby, perhaps David A. Black's Ruby
for Rails ( http://www.manning.... ).

Regards,

Chris

John Joyce

On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Chris Lowis wrote:

> Fjordur wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm learning RoR, been throught various tutorials on scaffolding,
>> done
>> the O'Reilly "Ruby on Rails" book by Tate and Hibbs.
>>
>> I'm planning to build a full web application with logins and
>> sessions.
>> Can you point me to a tutorial to help me design the architecture:
>> - components (how to login, manage users data...)
>> - best practice to manage sessions , global design.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Hi,
>
> Ruby on Rails questions are often better received in the Ruby on Rails
> forum ( http://www.ruby-forum.c... ).
>
> The best book I've seen for what you want to do is Agile Web
> Development
> with Ruby on Rails (
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/... ),
> supplemented with a good book about Ruby, perhaps David A. Black's
> Ruby
> for Rails ( http://www.manning.... ).
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Also consider the Rails Cookbook and the Ruby Cookbook.
But definitely the Agile Web Development With Rails and Programming
Ruby are 2 vital reference books you need to have available. Mr.
Black's book gives you a better understanding of the space in between.
Apress also has a whole host of books on the way.