[ANN] JRuby 1.0 Released

Thomas Enebo

6/10/2007 9:40:00 AM

The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Homepage: http://www....
Download: http://dist.codehaus....

JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project. Our main goal for 1.0 has been Ruby compatibility. We feel this goal has been reached. When we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we know this goal has been reached. Please download JRuby and take it for a test drive. Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with it. Give us feedback. Join our community. Help us continue to improve JRuby.

We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby a treat. Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time people are spending on JRuby. We all get along well and I think the progress made because of this really shows. To think a little over a year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is amazing how far we have come.

-Tom

--
Thomas E Enebo <thomas.enebo@sun.com>
JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Th...

13 Answers

Thiago Jackiw

Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

--
Thiago Jackiw
acts_as_solr => http://acts-as-solr.rails...

On 6/10/07, Thomas Enebo <Thomas.Enebo@sun.com> wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!
>
> Homepage: http://www....
> Download: http://dist.codehaus....
>
> JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project. Our main goal for 1.0 has been Ruby compatibility. We feel this goal has been reached. When we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we know this goal has been reached. Please download JRuby and take it for a test drive. Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with it. Give us feedback. Join our community. Help us continue to improve JRuby.
>
> We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby a treat. Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time people are spending on JRuby. We all get along well and I think the progress made because of this really shows. To think a little over a year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is amazing how far we have come.
>
> -Tom
>
> --
> Thomas E Enebo <thomas.enebo@sun.com>
> JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Th...

Charles Oliver Nutter

Thiago Jackiw wrote:
> Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

Our understanding is that 1.8.6 was largely a bug-fix release, and since
at least half of JRuby is not implemented with the same code as C Ruby
(our Java code versus C Ruby's C code) we opted not to update the
remainder (stdlib) until after 1.0. I'd be surprised if the difference
between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 was noticed by anyone using JRuby.

As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
using those features with JRuby.

- Charlie

Gregory Brown

On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:

> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
> using those features with JRuby.

Cool! Congrats guys...

Chris Carter

On 6/10/07, Thomas Enebo <Thomas.Enebo@sun.com> wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!
>
> Homepage: http://www....
> Download: http://dist.codehaus....
>
> JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project. Our main goal for 1.0 has been Ruby compatibility. We feel this goal has been reached. When we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we know this goal has been reached. Please download JRuby and take it for a test drive. Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with it. Give us feedback. Join our community. Help us continue to improve JRuby.
>
> We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby a treat. Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time people are spending on JRuby. We all get along well and I think the progress made because of this really shows. To think a little over a year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is amazing how far we have come.
>
> -Tom
>
> --
> Thomas E Enebo <thomas.enebo@sun.com>
> JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Th...

Wow guys! Congratulations! This project is going to go faar. Is
this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Stefan Rusterholz

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Thiago Jackiw wrote:
>> Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?
>
> Our understanding is that 1.8.6 was largely a bug-fix release, and since
> at least half of JRuby is not implemented with the same code as C Ruby
> (our Java code versus C Ruby's C code) we opted not to update the
> remainder (stdlib) until after 1.0. I'd be surprised if the difference
> between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 was noticed by anyone using JRuby.
>
> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
> using those features with JRuby.
>
> - Charlie

Maybe that's the time it should be considered to use a separate
versioning for the language. But I guess that has already been
discussed.

Regards
Stefan

Pete Yandell

Thomas Enebo wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Congratulations! It's fantastic for Ruby that implementations like this
are coming of age.

Pete Yandell
http://no...

Sammy Larbi

Thomas Enebo wrote, On 6/10/2007 4:40 AM:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Congrats Tom, Charlie, Ola and the entire JRuby team!

Robert Klemme

On 10.06.2007 11:40, Thomas Enebo wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!
>
> Homepage: http://www....
> Download: http://dist.codehaus....
>
> JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project. Our main goal for 1.0
> has been Ruby compatibility. We feel this goal has been reached. When
> we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we
> know this goal has been reached. Please download JRuby and take it for
> a test drive. Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with
> it. Give us feedback. Join our community. Help us continue to improve
> JRuby.
>
> We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby
> a treat. Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced
> test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time
> people are spending on JRuby. We all get along well and I think the
> progress made because of this really shows. To think a little over a
> year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is
> amazing how far we have come.

My full hearted congratulations. Well done!

Kind regards

robert

Charles Oliver Nutter

Chris Carter wrote:
> Wow guys! Congratulations! This project is going to go faar. Is
> this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?

I think that's probably fair to say...we're the only one that can run
apps, and we seem to run them pretty well.

- Charlie

Eleanor McHugh

On 11 Jun 2007, at 13:20, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Chris Carter wrote:
>> Wow guys! Congratulations! This project is going to go faar. Is
>> this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?
>
> I think that's probably fair to say...we're the only one that can
> run apps, and we seem to run them pretty well.

Congratulation to all you guys in the JRuby team on going 1.0 - this
is such a huge milestone in Ruby's evolution :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----