Newbie Question

Rafael George

6/8/2007 3:23:00 PM

Hi guys, im trying an script that use Mongrel and Erubis, i just
installed the gems with
gem install mongrel
gem install erubis

The installation went fine, without any error but everytime i try to
run the script i get this message error,

`require': no such file to load -- erubis (LoadError)

It's obvious that the script is not finding the previously installed
gem, im using Ubuntu i installed rails using the .deb package in the
repository and it works fine too, when i checked where was rails
installed it is in the same path where rubygem installed the gems.

So i really don't know where to check. Can somebody assist me with this.

Thanks

--
Grimoire Guru
SourceMage GNU/Linux

3 Answers

Bob Hutchison

On 8-Jun-07, at 11:22 AM, Rafael George wrote:

> Hi guys, im trying an script that use Mongrel and Erubis, i just
> installed the gems with
> gem install mongrel
> gem install erubis
>
> The installation went fine, without any error but everytime i try to
> run the script i get this message error,
>
> `require': no such file to load -- erubis (LoadError)

I think you likely are not telling Ruby that you are using gems.
Either define the environment variable:

export RUBYOPT=-rubygems

(for bash, some shells do this differently)

in your shell, or add '-rubygems' to the command line when starting
ruby.

There might be other ways, but I don't know them.

You can test this by running irb and trying to require erubis.

Cheers,
Bob

> It's obvious that the script is not finding the previously installed
> gem, im using Ubuntu i installed rails using the .deb package in the
> repository and it works fine too, when i checked where was rails
> installed it is in the same path where rubygem installed the gems.
>
> So i really don't know where to check. Can somebody assist me with
> this.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Grimoire Guru
> SourceMage GNU/Linux

----
Bob Hutchison -- tumblelog at <http://
www.recursive.ca/so/>
Recursive Design Inc. -- weblog at <http://www.rec...
hutch>
-- works at <http://www.rec...>

Rafael George

Thanks

--
Grimoire Guru
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Chris Carter

> I think you likely are not telling Ruby that you are using gems.
> Either define the environment variable:
>
> export RUBYOPT=-rubygems
>
> (for bash, some shells do this differently)
>
> in your shell, or add '-rubygems' to the command line when starting
> ruby.
>
> There might be other ways, but I don't know them.
>
> You can test this by running irb and trying to require erubis.

you can also just
require 'rubygems'

--
Chris Carter