Re: starting

seebs

6/6/2007 10:42:00 PM

In message <cc092b6c0706061536o18e071a4m95c2e381db420c3@mail.gmail.com>, "Harol
d Hausman" writes:
>At the beginning of course!
>
>http://poignantguide...

I just have to point out:

Had I been given pretty much any other link first, I would have learned Ruby
months earlier. That one creeped me out with how cultish it was, and
furthermore, didn't actually TELL me anything about the language for a
few pages. I found Pickaxe much more approachable.

I do not like to start people with a programming language guide which
reads like an old Dr. Pepper commercial.

-s

2 Answers

Rick DeNatale

On 6/6/07, Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net> wrote:
> In message <cc092b6c0706061536o18e071a4m95c2e381db420c3@mail.gmail.com>, "Harol
> d Hausman" writes:
> >At the beginning of course!
> >
> >http://poignantguide...
>
> I just have to point out:
>
> Had I been given pretty much any other link first, I would have learned Ruby
> months earlier. That one creeped me out with how cultish it was, and
> furthermore, didn't actually TELL me anything about the language for a
> few pages. I found Pickaxe much more approachable.
>
> I do not like to start people with a programming language guide which
> reads like an old Dr. Pepper commercial.

Which really points out that what works best for anyone in learning
anything is highly dependent on the person. Different people find
that what works for other folks might or might not work for them.

Some folks want to be led down a track, of these some might enjoy a
whimsical/idiosyncratic approach such as _why's. From the number of
times follks praise the poignant guide, it seems that there's a fair
number who find it useful.

Others have a project or projects in mind and figure out what they
need to know step by step shortly after they discover that they need
to know it, kind of an agile approach to learning. They get a
reference book, and/or find internet resources such as this forum and
ruby-oriented web sites (if they can find any <G>) useful.

It also depends on where you are starting.

On another thread someone was asking about learning Rails, and was
given the advice that they really should understand Ruby first.
Maybe, maybe not. Again it really depends on whether they want to
focus on learning Ruby or want to build something with Rails (or maybe
something else) and pick up Ruby along the way.

There are lots of paths into the Ruby community, which one works best
depends on where you are starting from, and what means of transport
works best for you.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby