Numeric locale

Bertram Scharpf

the German decimal separator is ",". So pi will be
represented by "3,1415" rather than "3.1415". As far as I
know this behaviour is controlled by the LC_NUMERIC
environment variable.

Now, I notice the following on my system: When I'm in editor
Vim I may say in command mode:

:ruby puts 4.56
:!ruby -e 'puts 4.56'

The former is the built-in ruby interface, the latter a call
to a child process and will show thats standard output.

But I happen to encounter two different results. The
built-in version gives "4,56"; the child process prints
"4.56".

How can I make the normal Ruby process print a comma, too?

Thanks in advance

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf