Re: getting ruby v1.8.6 on Mac OS X - what's the easiest way

Drew Olson

6/4/2007 3:11:00 AM

Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in getting my Macbook Ruby installation up to v1.8.6.
> What's
> the easiest way?
>
> I already have Locomotive, but I was thinking of trying to avoid using
> this
> and going with a base Ruby installation so that when I go to iTerm /
> Terminals they would see the latest version of Ruby. Fink doesn't seem
> have v1.8.6 listed (only up to v.1.8.5).
>
> Tks

To my way of thinking, it is far easier to use Macports than to install
from source. Simply:

1. Download MacPorts
2. Type "sudo port install ruby"

Thats it. Want to update your installation to a newly released version?

sudo port upgrade ruby

Again, easy. Oh, and if you somehow mess something up, you can just
trash your ~/opt/local folder and your system is not affected. Just my 2
cents.

- Drew