Re: getting ruby v1.8.6 on Mac OS X - what's the easiest way?

Ari Brown

6/4/2007 12:19:00 AM

Ok, I just did this myself. I had some trouble at first, but then I
got it down pat. My instructions:

1. Download the source from Ruby-lang.
2. Uncompress it by using that mouse thingy
3. Open up Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)
4. type 'cd Desktop/#{your uncompressed ruby folder}/'
5. type './configure'
6. type 'make'
7. type 'sudo make install' and then type in your password

Now here's the fun part
8. type 'cd'
9. type 'sudo pico csh.cshrc' (if you're using bash, type .bashrc
instead) and type your password
10. Using your arrow keys, move your cursor to the line that says:
set path = ( $path )
and replace it with
set path = ( /usr/local/bin/:${path} )

press Control-X
press 'y'
press enter
11. log out, and then log back in
12. type 'ruby -v' and voila!

HTH
~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.

2 Answers

John Joyce

Well, if you want to install things like Ruby, or PHP and so on, you
will want to have the Developer Tools installed. They're a huge and
nice set of tools. Also if you are on OS X, seriously seriously
consider purchasing TextMate. It really is the most Ruby-friendly
editor on OS X. It may be a bit strange to use at first, but there is
also a good book on it as well.
You could use a free editor, or another non-free one, but it won't
come close.

Ari Brown

On Jun 4, 2007, at 1:32 PM, John Joyce wrote:

> Well, if you want to install things like Ruby, or PHP and so on,
> you will want to have the Developer Tools installed. They're a huge
> and nice set of tools. Also if you are on OS X, seriously seriously
> consider purchasing TextMate. It really is the most Ruby-friendly
> editor on OS X. It may be a bit strange to use at first, but there
> is also a good book on it as well.
> You could use a free editor, or another non-free one, but it won't
> come close.

TextMate is my homey when comes to ruby.
But if you're going free, then try pumping out some code with
Aquamacs Emacs. GUI editor, colors your code (with various themes
available), an it has auto indenting.

If you're not living on the edge,
then you're just wasting space.