Re: getting ruby v1.8.6 on Mac OS X - what's the easiest way?

Tim Hunter

6/3/2007 8:12:00 PM

Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in getting my Macbook Ruby installation up to v1.8.6.
> What's
> the easiest way?
>
> I already have Locomotive, but I was thinking of trying to avoid using
> this
> and going with a base Ruby installation so that when I go to iTerm /
> Terminals they would see the latest version of Ruby. Fink doesn't
> seem to
> have v1.8.6 listed (only up to v.1.8.5).
>
> Tks

I think the easiest way is to simply download the tarball from
www.ruby-lang.org and compile it yourself. If you've already got the
Xcode tools installed, it's simply a matter of

/configure
make
sudo make install

And the make sure you've got /usr/local/bin in front of /usr/bin in your
PATH:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/project...]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...]

2 Answers

Tim Hunter

Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> I've not played with Xcode yet - would I have to download this from the
> Apple site? There seems to be a beta type version available of close to
> 1GB?

You can install it from your OS X installation disk (look for
XcodeTools.mkpg), or you can download the latest version from here:
http://developer.....

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/project...]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...]
RMagick Installation FAQ [http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/instal...]

addager

Why do you think there is no allready compiled one-click binady .dmg
package for Mac OS X with all of standard tools? In this case the
number of Ruby group will grow aloud, i think. I've just compiled Ruby
myself, but it was unpleasant for me to install huge xcode tools.
And now we have just windows compiled one-click package -
Discrimination.

Valery, Russia.