[ANN] image_science 1.1.3 Released

Ryan Davis

5/30/2007 8:38:00 PM

image_science version 1.1.3 has been released!

* <http://seattlerb.ruby...ImageScienc...

ImageScience is a clean and happy Ruby library that generates
thumbnails -- and kicks the living crap out of RMagick. Oh, and it
doesn't leak memory like a sieve. :) For more information including
build steps, see http://seattlerb.ruby...

Changes:

## 1.1.3 / 2007-05-30

* 2 minor enhancements:
* Added quick_thumb as an example to look at.
* Error handler doesn't raise by default. Raises if $DEBUG==true.

* <http://seattlerb.ruby...ImageScienc...

4 Answers

James Gray

On May 30, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:

> and kicks the living crap out of RMagick. Oh, and it
> doesn't leak memory like a sieve. :)

The creator of this library disagrees, just FYI:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/a61984...

James Edward Gray II

Ryan Davis

On May 30, 2007, at 16:58 , James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On May 30, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:
>
>> and kicks the living crap out of RMagick. Oh, and it
>> doesn't leak memory like a sieve. :)
>
> The creator of this library disagrees, just FYI:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/a61984...

So? He and I disagree. Big deal. We've done it before [1], I'm sure
we'll do it again.

[1] http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/2006/04/its_the_pr...

James Gray

On May 30, 2007, at 4:15 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On May 30, 2007, at 16:58 , James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> On May 30, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:
>>
>>> and kicks the living crap out of RMagick. Oh, and it
>>> doesn't leak memory like a sieve. :)
>>
>> The creator of this library disagrees, just FYI:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/a61984...
>
> So? He and I disagree. Big deal. We've done it before [1], I'm sure
> we'll do it again.
>
> [1] http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/2006/04/its_the_pr...

Well, I was thinking it might be worth it to submit bug reports to
the tracker so he could fix them. I see from your article that
you've had trouble with that in the past though. Fair enough.

James Edward Gray II

Tim Hunter

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On May 30, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:
>
>> and kicks the living crap out of RMagick. Oh, and it
>> doesn't leak memory like a sieve. :)
>
> The creator of this library disagrees, just FYI:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/a61984...
>
> James Edward Gray II

Thanks for reposting my earlier request, James. I'll repeat it here for
emphasis:

As of this moment there are no open bug tracks for RMagick memory leaks
on RubyForge. All the RMagick "leaks" I know about are addressed in this
entry in the RMagick Hints & Tips forum:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1374&for....

If you know of a leak that isn't addressed by that tip, I'd love an
opportunity to fix it. Would you mind sending me a script that
reproduces the leak? I need a script with no extra gems or libraries,
just Ruby and RMagick. No Rails, attachment_fu, file_column, gruff,
scruffy, or whatever. Let me know what O/S you're on, what version of
RMagick and ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick, and what version of Ruby. You
can send it directly to me, post it here, or open a bug track on RubyForge.

By the way, since I originally posted that request on the 17th I've had
no new bug reports, so please, send 'em in.

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/project...]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...]