Can Ruby be compiled against uclibc?

Dani Varga

5/29/2007 10:51:00 PM

Hi!

I am trying to target an ARM based system that will have limited
resources. The primary reason why I want to use uclibc instead of gcc is
because of the size reduction.
Does anybody have any kind of idea how could I accomplish this task?
Just for practice and to see what possible problems could arise I tried
to compile Ruby against i386-uclibc-linux.
The output became quite tragic.
http://www.hungarydan.com/ou...

Thx Dan

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dani Varga wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am trying to target an ARM based system that will have limited
> resources. The primary reason why I want to use uclibc instead of gcc is
> because of the size reduction.
> Does anybody have any kind of idea how could I accomplish this task?
> Just for practice and to see what possible problems could arise I tried
> to compile Ruby against i386-uclibc-linux.
> The output became quite tragic.
> http://www.hungarydan.com/ou...
>
> Thx Dan

Yes ... the "buildroot" toolset used by Gumstix and others has Ruby in
it. I think there are other ways to do it. There may be some code of
mine for the Gumstix on Rubyforge in the "roast" project. I haven't
touched it in months, but I think what was there worked and built Ruby.

Dani Varga

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Dani Varga wrote:
>>
>> Thx Dan
>>

> Yes ... the "buildroot" toolset used by Gumstix and others has Ruby in
> it. I think there are other ways to do it. There may be some code of
> mine for the Gumstix on Rubyforge in the "roast" project. I haven't
> touched it in months, but I think what was there worked and built Ruby.

Ahm.. Maybe it is a little bit too late but I am afraid I didn't get
what you have just now said. What projects and what is that buildroot?
pls give me some detailed hints. Thx...