[ANN] Debian ruby-full package - a full installation of Ruby

Vince H&K

5/28/2007 8:33:00 AM

Hello Debian Ruby users,

I have seen many complaints on this list that the debian ruby packages are split into several small
components, which makes it a pain to get a 'genuine' ruby install. Though this is not about to change
(for many reasons, all too long to fit here), I've uploaded to the unstable distribution a dependency
package, ruby-full, that should pull in all the required dependencies to get a decent Ruby experience.
The only exception is the Ruby/Tcl bindings, which are only recommended.

If any debian users doesn't seem to be able to use some of ruby's parts, please install ruby-full.
And then, if that doesn't work yet, you can ask your question here.

Enjoy,

Vince

1 Answer

Ken Bloom

On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:32:51 +0900, vince.hetk wrote:

> Hello Debian Ruby users,
>
> I have seen many complaints on this list that the debian ruby packages
> are split into several small
> components, which makes it a pain to get a 'genuine' ruby install.
> Though this is not about to change (for many reasons, all too long to
> fit here), I've uploaded to the unstable distribution a dependency
> package, ruby-full, that should pull in all the required dependencies to
> get a decent Ruby experience. The only exception is the Ruby/Tcl
> bindings, which are only recommended.
>
> If any debian users doesn't seem to be able to use some of ruby's
> parts, please install ruby-full.
> And then, if that doesn't work yet, you can ask your question here.

Does ruby-elisp really need to be included in this? It's not really a
library needed to run ruby programs built on other platforms with the
whole standard library in mind the same way the other dependencies are.

--Ken
(who doesn't have emacs installed yet)

http://www.iit.edu...