Ruby Libraries

Ari Brown

5/25/2007 8:00:00 PM

Hey all,
I've updated my ruby, and header files are where they should be
(thanks to all who replied).
But now my problem is that of libraries. I have installed pcap and
ruby-libnet (at least I hope it installed) by typing:
ruby extconf.rb
make
Then, to complete my set, I installed rubyforger using the same
method as described above. The directions say that i require it by
typing
require 'rubyforger.rb'
in the top of my code. However, Ruby cannot find it unless I'm in the
same directory as the rubyforger libraries. Huh?

Pcap problem: Whenever I require pcap, i get a warning saying:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.9.0/pcap.bundle:
warning: do not use Fixnums as Symbols
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.9.0/pcap.bundle:
warning: do not use Fixnums as Symbols
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.9.0/pcap.bundle:
warning: do not use Fixnums as Symbols

Did i just download a bad bundle?

Ok, now part 2

Can anyone recommend a good library that allows for packet creation
and editing? With instructions on how to install it (please)?

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------|
~Ari
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it" --1337est
man alive

8 Answers

Vince H&K

Ari Brown wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've updated my ruby, and header files are where they should be
> (thanks to all who replied).
> But now my problem is that of libraries. I have installed pcap and
> ruby-libnet (at least I hope it installed) by typing:
> ruby extconf.rb
> make

What about

make install

afterwards ;-) ?

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, Doctor in Physics
http://vincent.fourmon...

Ari Brown

On May 25, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Vince H&K wrote:

> What about
>
> make install
>
> afterwards ;-) ?

I did that - it says nothing needs to be done for `install`. Yet I
STILL get this problem.
re download and try again?

--------------------------------------------|
If you're not living on the edge,
then you're just wasting space.

Chris Carter

On 5/25/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've updated my ruby, and header files are where they should be
> (thanks to all who replied).
> But now my problem is that of libraries. I have installed pcap and
> ruby-libnet (at least I hope it installed) by typing:
> ruby extconf.rb
> make
> Then, to complete my set, I installed rubyforger using the same
> method as described above. The directions say that i require it by
> typing
> require 'rubyforger.rb'
> in the top of my code. However, Ruby cannot find it unless I'm in the
> same directory as the rubyforger libraries. Huh?

Drop the .rb, that will ususally get it to load, otherwise, put the
library in RUBYLIB/site_ruby

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

Ari Brown

On May 25, 2007, at 8:24 PM, Chris Carter wrote:

> On 5/25/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> I've updated my ruby, and header files are where they
>> should be
>> (thanks to all who replied).
>> But now my problem is that of libraries. I have installed pcap and
>> ruby-libnet (at least I hope it installed) by typing:
>> ruby extconf.rb
>> make
>> Then, to complete my set, I installed rubyforger using the same
>> method as described above. The directions say that i require it by
>> typing
>> require 'rubyforger.rb'
>> in the top of my code. However, Ruby cannot find it unless I'm in the
>> same directory as the rubyforger libraries. Huh?
>
> Drop the .rb, that will ususally get it to load, otherwise, put the
> library in RUBYLIB/site_ruby

Ok. I did that, but it still didn't work. After looking back to the
readme, is see that I need to "Use the init function in order to set
up the correct interface." So, uh.... What does that mean, exactly?

---------------------------------------------------------------|
~Ari
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it" --1337est
man alive

Ari Brown

On May 25, 2007, at 8:24 PM, Chris Carter wrote:

> On 5/25/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> I've updated my ruby, and header files are where they
>> should be
>> (thanks to all who replied).
>> But now my problem is that of libraries. I have installed pcap and
>> ruby-libnet (at least I hope it installed) by typing:
>> ruby extconf.rb
>> make
>> Then, to complete my set, I installed rubyforger using the same
>> method as described above. The directions say that i require it by
>> typing
>> require 'rubyforger.rb'
>> in the top of my code. However, Ruby cannot find it unless I'm in the
>> same directory as the rubyforger libraries. Huh?
>
> Drop the .rb, that will ususally get it to load, otherwise, put the
> library in RUBYLIB/site_ruby

Ok, I think I answered my own question. The init function is a built
in function which allows you to send the packets.

Unfortunately, though, I cannot get it to load, though.

--------------------------------------------|
If you're not living on the edge,
then you're just wasting space.

Gregory Brown

On 5/25/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:

> On May 25, 2007, at 8:24 PM, Chris Carter wrote:
>
> > On 5/25/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >> I've updated my ruby, and header files are where they
> >> should be
> >> (thanks to all who replied).
> >> But now my problem is that of libraries. I have installed pcap and
> >> ruby-libnet (at least I hope it installed) by typing:
> >> ruby extconf.rb
> >> make
> >> Then, to complete my set, I installed rubyforger using the same
> >> method as described above. The directions say that i require it by
> >> typing
> >> require 'rubyforger.rb'
> >> in the top of my code. However, Ruby cannot find it unless I'm in the
> >> same directory as the rubyforger libraries. Huh?
> >
> > Drop the .rb, that will ususally get it to load, otherwise, put the
> > library in RUBYLIB/site_ruby
>
> Ok, I think I answered my own question. The init function is a built
> in function which allows you to send the packets.
>
> Unfortunately, though, I cannot get it to load, though.

are you sure it's not require "rubyforge"
not "rubyforger"

Gregory Brown

On 5/25/07, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:

> are you sure it's not require "rubyforge"
> not "rubyforger"

Oh, my mistake:
https://rubyforge.org/projects/...

sorry for the noise, was thinking of the codeforpeople gem and didn't
read carefully.

Ari Brown

On May 25, 2007, at 9:06 PM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> are you sure it's not require "rubyforge"
> not "rubyforger"

Nope, it's rubyforger.

~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.